Sign in to follow this  
everythingslower

Buying Leather In Sydney & Melbourne

I will be travelling to Sydney & Melbourne for holiday in August, am hoping to visit stores selling leather and tools in either city. I'm looking to buy veg-tanned leather, as well as gold coloured leather (is this available), and perhaps a few tools and hardware like U-gouge.

I did some research in this forum and gathered the following few stores recommended here: NSW Leather Co, Birdsall Leather and Leffler. Are there any other recommendations?

The thing is, I understand most shops sell whole pieces of leather, but I'm looking to smaller portioned pieces, like maybe 3-5 sq feet of gold leather, half a piece of veg-tan etc. Does any of the shops stated above sell in smaller pieces (not scraps)?

In Sydney, Birdsalls will cut you a smaller piece. Contact Tracy http://birdsall-leather.com.au/home.php to ask them directly. I'm not sure whether NSW Leather co will. Birdsalls sells tools etc, NSW Leather co only sells leather - no tools. Both are located east of Sydney, about 6ks apart so you could check both out. Just a heads up that NSW leather co isn't open on weekends.

Tandy leather factory has opened a store, but it's in Minto - around 60ks from Sydney CBD.

Hope you enjoy OZ.