Sign in to follow this  
bluebeard

walking stick hand area coverd..

:Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius: hey mates..im trying to cover a area on a walking stick where one's hand go's.

im using six strands.im trying to follow bruce grants instructions on how to tie a

six-strand multiple braid.a quick way to cover the hand area of a walking stick. both ends will be finished when the braiding is done..iv wraped the strands around the core as shown, this is where i loose the plot..it then calls for a crown knot and at this point the braiding starts.. im lost. iv never braided before, obvious "A"... can someone make this any clearer to me... thank you... Bluebeard

To be honest with you, when I needed to cover part of a staff for my hubby (he was Friar Tuck on the PA Ren.Faire cast), I used a strip of leather and some upholstery tacks. It looked nice and worked well.

Good luck with the braiding though - if you get it done I'm sure it'll look great...if you give it up, consider the tacks. Tandy sells them now and they look pretty nice.

If you were standing here right next to me I could easily show you, but you're kinda far away...

Do you have the Bruce Grant book? Or do you just only have the instructions for that one thing? Are you able to follow the pictures? They are not the best in that book but if you are patient and keep at it, they will work fine. If you have the book, I think it says you "crown the ends by passing each one beneath one" or something like that. Just try and follow the instructions. Even if they sound weird, or you think that can't be right, just do what it says - hey, what do you have to lose? Even if you make a mistake you will learn, and that is a good thing. I'd encourage you to just keep at it. :)

Try here or here. The pics are for 3 strands but the principles are the same for any number (within reason).

Thank you all for getting back to me. Iv learnd that if all else fails then ask my wife. A help mate is for helping and this she did.

Thanks again, Bluebeard