WScott

Interesting Leather Production Video

This is a documentary style video of the process of leather making with comments toward craftsmanship, automation and handwork.

It is a couple years old now, but I thought it was interesting

http://vimeo.com/37297121

That is a great video David, thanks for sharing

Anyone else got similar video links???

A couple of short videos, made at the tannery where I buy my leather . . .

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ctures-14442109

and

http://s1132.photobu...ent=Tannery.mp4

I posted one awhile ago on the oldest leather tannery in the world...in Fez, Morocco... but couldn't find it. But here's a similar one. Who knew that pigeon droppings was a key ingredient in making leather?

http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/places/countries-places/morocco/morocco_leatherproduction/

These are great videos guys, thanks for posting them!

It gives you a greater appreciation of what that skin and the workers go through to produce beautiful leather.

Celtic, I would like to hear how that hand tanned leather feels and works!

MU, I found the documentaries about yourself fascinating as well; I am not as talented but we have that kindred spirit of working in different mediums, doing a day job for money and other stuff for yourself.

Love the liquor cabinet you made

Edited by WScott

Celtic, I would like to hear how that hand tanned leather feels and works!

The Bakers oak-tanned leather is the best that I have used in over 35 years of leatherworking! It cuts like cheese, polishes up like glass, and has an amazing smell that completely fills the workshop. It's not cheap to buy, but I've found that there's a niche market for products made from the finest quality leather.

I actually feel a degree of excitement when fresh hides arrive from the tannery . . . every one is unique!

Yes, I bet it smells gorgeous, very envious of you for that; I love that when you open a shipping box and the leather smell escapes.

Funny that a yearlong bath in oak bark can turn out such a beautifully smelling end product.

I remember someone bought a bag in India and complained it smelled of urine and it wouldn't come out.

After seeing the Moroccan video with pigeon poop as the tanning source, I wonder what they are using in other countries :0

Some years ago a friend of mine bought 200 leather hats at a ridiculously low price, from a manufacturer in India. The hats arrived, stacked one inside the other, and shrink-wrapped in polythene. When the polythene was stripped off, a slight smell began emanating from the stack, and got worse as the day warmed up. Eventually the smell was so pungent that the hats were consigned to a spare room in his house, and he had to tape up the edges of the door to keep the smell from escaping.

He subsequently discovered that the Indian tanning process had involved the use of doggy-do, and despite trying everything he could think of, including hanging them outdoors, the smell remained, and got worse if the leather was warm or wet. He didn't dare to try selling the hats, and after about 12 months he dumped the lot in the local land-fill. Not much of a bargain!