Sign in to follow this  
Alymon

New To Leatherworking

Hello everyone.

I stumbled across this site through google after curiousity got the better of me in a craft store. I was looking around the store and noticed bits of leather with some basic kits for making things like moccasins and I kind of got the idea that I could use a leather pouch. How hard can it be to make that, right? :)

I almost just bought some leather right then to kind of fudge my way through something, but I decided it would be smarter to do some research on the subject first and do it right. Who knows, maybe it's something I could turn into a long term hobby.

So I'm looking for I guess a good beginner's tutorial that will walk be through step by step how to make a basic item out of leather and explain the terminology along the way. Ideally if that first project is a pouch of some sort that would be perfect, but I'm willing to try anything to get the feel for it.

The biggest problem I have though is space. I live in an apartment and I don't really have a work area or room for large tools. Pretty much my workspace is going to end up being my kitchen table.

Can anyone recommend a good book or link a tutorial that would be a great place to start?

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Alymon, welcome to Leatherworker.net. You've found what I think is the best collection of online leatherworkers in the world. It's a great place for beginners to learn more.

If your workspace is cramped, it's actually not a problem. I worked for many years on the kitchen table in a small apartment. While I now have a larger dedicated space, I still fit all of my hand tools into a 20" Craftsman toolbox. Over time, many people invest in sewing machines or a larger set of tools, but keeping it small won't hold you back.

Two books to consider:

Making Leather Purses & Totes, by Lisa Galvin

The Leatherworking Handbook, by Valerie Michael

Good luck as you get started, and don't be shy about asking questions.

Best, -Alex wave.gif

Both books recommended are great! I have them in my library. As for the space, don't fret....I work out of a corner in my master bedroom to this day. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Hello everyone.

I stumbled across this site through google after curiousity got the better of me in a craft store. I was looking around the store and noticed bits of leather with some basic kits for making things like moccasins and I kind of got the idea that I could use a leather pouch. How hard can it be to make that, right? :)

I almost just bought some leather right then to kind of fudge my way through something, but I decided it would be smarter to do some research on the subject first and do it right. Who knows, maybe it's something I could turn into a long term hobby.

So I'm looking for I guess a good beginner's tutorial that will walk be through step by step how to make a basic item out of leather and explain the terminology along the way. Ideally if that first project is a pouch of some sort that would be perfect, but I'm willing to try anything to get the feel for it.

The biggest problem I have though is space. I live in an apartment and I don't really have a work area or room for large tools. Pretty much my workspace is going to end up being my kitchen table.

Can anyone recommend a good book or link a tutorial that would be a great place to start?

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Welcome to a very exciting world of leather crafting. I think that once you've tried it, and did a good job on whatever project you have in mind, that you will be on the way to being a leather addict. The Tandy website contains 22 free videos on many aspects of leather crafting. While they don't show how to make a pouch, if viewed and all the information gathered from them, you are on your way to knowing how to do something. There are also three books put out by Tandy on how to make leather cases. All are excellent books to have and show how to make many things and give hints and tips on sewing, stitching and what not. Also, Hide Crafters (http://www.hidecrafter.com/hci/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=22) carry videos for sale that are also an excellent source for making things.

As far as work space, well, right now I'm sharing with my wife the kitchen counter. One corner for me, three corners for her. It does make life interesting.

Thanks for the links. I think I'm going to order one of the books and start from there.