Sign in to follow this  
xlr8tn

Introduction

Hello All,

I'm glad I found this place...looks like a wealth of knowledge on leather craft. I just finished a custom watch strap prototype and had most of the tools I needed to do a professional job. However, I know I can do better. My strap project used 6-7 oz black bison leather (see pics), which is pretty thick (5mm doubled), but that was the look I was going after with a big watch face. I removed most of the leather where the edges fold over so it wouldn't be so thick (I just purchased a v-gouge to make this easier next time). I used leather cement to secure the two halves together and placed in a vice to dry.

So, before I start strap number two, I figured I ask a few questions.

1) I used Fiebings Edge Coat on the edges and was expecting a bit more rubbery look. It turned out great, but is there another product that would give more of a rubbery look (see pic)? I have a can of this stuff call "Plasti Dip" from Lowe's. Anyone try this on leather?

2) I used 4ply waxed thread, but found that this was too thin for the size of this project. I have since purchased 7ply waxed Irish linen thread, and hoping his will be the right size. I found this place called royalwood (royalwoodltd.com) that carries the thread. Where are you all purchasing thread from? I need some alternatives. Can thread be doubled up to produce a thicker look?

3) Stitching - I grooved around the straps on both sides. Is this correct? Or should I have just done it on the side that is visible? I used the saddlestitch to complete the project. I noticed that the overstitch wheel basically didn't really help me out at all. I ended up using a ruler and measuring about 2 holes at a time to get accurate spaces. This is probably because the piece was black and it was really hard to see. I have seen the angled 4 punch and wondered what stitch goes with this? Is it the buckstitch? The finished product looks really nice and the thread lines are somewhat angled (see dark brown pic and tan pic).

4) What is the leather used as a liner on the inside of watches? Is it this stuff: http://www.eleatherworks.com/product.php?p...=509&page=1

Let me know if you have any scrap leather that I can purchase. At this point, an entire hide is way too much.

Thanks,

Brent

no5f_600x450.jpg

watchstrap.jpg

09_111e.jpg

IMG_0604_1.jpg

IMG_0600_1.jpg

IMG_0606_1.jpg

unfinish004.jpg

post-5299-1195768720_thumb.jpg

post-5299-1195769310_thumb.jpg

post-5299-1195769460_thumb.jpg