Sign in to follow this  
redcell7

Leather Sealer

i made a guitar strap and after a couple of weeks of abuse the sealer that i put on is peeling of ...very bad....i used resolene to seal it and i used a air brush to applly it(was that why) also i sprayed it on a stap made of veg tan leather and i textured it with a standered texture stamp....so any ideas why its peeling off....is it because i airbrushed ...textured it ...i hate to make something sell it and the sealer flake off ....thats embarrasing ....so what do yall think i need to do to apply a sealer and it stay on

I cut resolene 50/50 with water and apply after a good cleaning with oxcylic acid. Apply the sealer after everything has dried. I let the first coat of sealer dry, add a coat of mink oil, then add another coat of sealer.

so cut it 50 50 and use mink oil (does the mink oil get to saturate the leather since it sealed it ) and what purpose does it serve ?

also i am not completely hooked on resolene it just works better out of the others i have tried to seal the leather

but i am open to any type of sealer that works as long as it doesnt flake off

Hello friends,

I would like to say, the best way to clean your guitar is with a warm, damp cloth. This will remove harmful chemicals. Your guitar is coated in the highest-grade finish available and is sensitive. Any type of solvent, especially those found in plastic, vinyl and leather straps, will mar the finish, as will alcohol, citric acid, aftershave lotion, insect repellent, and a number of related substances. Perspiration can also damage your guitar. To Polish it, use the special Martin Polish and a clean Martin polishing cloth. We recommend wiping down your instrument and strings with a soft, dry cloth before storing to remove harmful skin oils. Products containing silicone should not be used.

Best advance

Sara Chang

http://www.britishmotorcyclegear.com/

thanks but i am more concerned with the sealer on the guitar strap ...lol i dont even own a guitar but make straps ....thank for your info