tboyce58

Round Knife, Head Knife...what's The Difference?

I thought the terms were interchangeable but Osborne Leather Tools sells both a round knife AND a head knife. What would be the appropriate application for each?

This is one of those things that has a few variations in definitions. The most accepted is that a "round knife" will make a near half circle on the same radius from a focal point. A head knife is more elliptical and a shorter radius forward that gets longer as it reaches the points from a focal point. A round knife will have more blade in the leather and tend to stay on a straighter line. A head knife has more pointed tips, less blade in the leather and easier to do a tighter inside curve.

Thanks for the feedback, Bruce. Just a question. If you were purchasing your first, which would you choose?

Ideally I'd have both within reach. One only and it depends on what you're making. Mostly cutting straight lines and I'd pick a round knife. Lots of tight patterning and I'd get a head knife.