Sign in to follow this  
Rumblestiltskin

New To Me Adler 30-1

Howdy All! Next week I take delivery of a fully refurbed Adler 30-1. This machine has been stripped and rebuilt by sieck machinery in Germany, new innards where required, new dc step motor, 12 month guarantee. I paid a little above average for it but considering it will be "like new" it's a bargain for 1200 bucks.

So, now the learning process starts! Until now all my stitching has been by hand using heavy waxed threads. I never really paid much attention to thread sizes etc as i only ever used the one size (which i dont even know off the top of my head). With the machine I'll have to learn what threads the Adler works best with. I am assuming waxed threads won't feed all that well in the machine so I need to work out what threads I should change to.

I primarily produce motorcycle bags and heavy leather items using 8 - 13 oz leathers, so I'd like to know if there is a resource describing thread sizes for the Adler, or what the popular choice is by other Adler owners for heavy leather items.

Any advice appreciated.

On a different note, I'll also pick up a Bernina 117k in a couple of weeks for the smaller stuff, for a measly 150 bucks including a massive sized work table :)

I have an Adler 30-1, I mainly use it for repair work and sewing patches on in tough to reach places.

I mainly use #69 thread but it works fine with 92 as well and on occasion 138 but that's about as big as it'll go, I always leave 69 in the bobbin and I use the pre wound ones most of the time unless its an oddball color.

Mine is treadle powered but I'm getting a power base for it from Bob Kovar shortly.

It's is a workhorse in my shop now that I do a lot of repair work but I don't use it much for anything I make.

I buy my thread in the small one ounce spools from either Frankford Leather or Wawak except for black brown and white which I get bigger spools.

I think you got a pretty good price if it was rebuilt and put on a nice powered base.

Thanks for the info Billy.

I am so looking forward getting going with this machine :)