Sign in to follow this  
Alex

Stropping tips

Can anyone tell me if using a business card with jeweler's rouge on it, on top of a block of marble, is an adequate way of stroping? I am always careful to the angle while stroping, as well stoping often. But is this method sufficient enough? I had read that stoping is basically a way to keep the knife blade polished. Or does the blade require more sharpening.

Alex,

Not to be a smart-mouth, but swivel knife blades almost always require more sharpening. With a few exceptions, they never come sharp enough to use straight off. As far as stropping, a business card on the marble is an emergency technique, similar to duct tape to fix something. The business card is too small to get a meaningful stroke length. If you use cardstock or firm paper like that - use a manila file folder or tablet back. Then you can get a good length of stroke. With a card you go 1-1/2 or 2 inches, lift and go back. you spend all your time in the air going back to start. Keep the blade in contact with the longer piece, and you will be done in a lot less time.

Bruce Johnson