Sign in to follow this  
Doug Mclean

Best glue for rope can cover ?

Hello from Montana:

Been a while! Hope everyone had a nice holiday.

I'm just about to finish a leather cover for a rope can. What works the best for glueing these in place? Barges is what I have on hand. I have used this in the past and gotten by. Just wondering if there is something better out there? Also planning on some silver conchos. Can you get away with drilling a hole in these without them cracking in between over time? (The lids)

Thank You!

Doug,

I've made lots of rope cans, and Barge is all I've ever used. I've found that if I sand the top of the can some before I glue it, it seems to stick alot tighter. As for the conchos, I've never drilled them through the can lid. I've always used Chicago screw type conchos. The reason for that is that by drilling through the top, it makes the rope can not be air tight, and calf ropers are extra picky about air tight cans for their ropes. Hope this helps.

Doug,

Good to hear from you. I used Barge a long time and never had a problem. I switched to Renia a while back. I have done 20 or so with Renia and it is maybe a little stickier, but way more fumes. I use a wire brush to rough up the surface of the can and then apply a light layer of glue, same with the leather. Usually I add another coat to the leather to make sure I have plenty on the surface. I stick it down when it is pretty dry and then rub from the center out to make sure the bubbles are out and everything is stuck. I weight them for about a day too.

I haven't had any problems drilling them for conchos. My own can has something like 20 small conchos for flower centers all around the edge. A while back I caught my horse standing on it.

Hope everyone is having a Happy New Years!

Thank you for your feedback. Always got to check and see if there is something new.

Most everyone here is sleeping with their snow shovels just so they can get out of bed in the mornings. (not quite that bad!!!)

Dang sure has got winter.