Sign in to follow this  
Vanilla

Dyeing And Finishing (Which Products First?)

Hello there!

I'm a total newbie when it comes to leatherwork. :helpsmilie: I intend to craft leather collars and leashes, and I took a trip to Tandy last weekend and was advised to use (and purchased) the following products:

• Fiebing's oil dye (black)
  • Eco-Flo gum tragacanth (for the edges/flesh side)
  • Eco-Flo Super Shene leather finish
  • Dr. Jackson's hide rejuvenator

Unfortunately, they did not have any 6-7oz leather (which was recommended for crafting such products) so I had to purchase the 4-5oz as an alternative. I am also fully equipped with wool daubers and soft cloths as I understand that these are required to apply the dye and finishes, and to buff the leather.

My questions are: which order do I use these products in? How long do I leave them to set before applying the next product? When does the leather require buffing? I have tried researching other forums and understand that other people will use different products, so it makes it difficult for me to figure out which goes first; I am aiming to attempt my first piece today and would really appreciate any help in minimizing trial and error!

P.S. I am aware some people dislike using the products listed above, but I am not located near any stores so it would be really appreciated if one could advise on how to use these products even if they may not be their preference!

Thanks!! :grouphug5vj5:

Edited by Vanilla

I would advise you to read the tutorials on this thread by Bob Parks on edge finishing and the one below that on Belt making. They will answer a lot of your questions and give you some ideas too.