Sign in to follow this  
GampasShop

Newest Project

While doing my last project, I had a wild idea, combining leather tooling and a predator call. In my last order from Tandy, they included a "Calfskin Sample Pack". This leather is really thin. I had to change my call shape a little bit but it turned out GREAT.

Map%20Pouch%20008.jpg

Map%20Pouch%20009.jpg

Map%20Pouch%20010.jpg

The hardest part of the whole deal was getting the leather cut to fit around the call.

Very cool, looks like you did a great job of cutting it. What does the seam look like where the leather meets, did you lace it?

Ooops, don't know what happened to my type, but just noticed it missing.

I cut to length and then skived the ends to make the seam and then used rubber cement to hold the leather to the call. I didn't turn out to bad.

If I do another call like this it will have a basketweave or flower carving as my animal carving is TERRIBLE. I had actually thought about an Oak Leaf, but didn't that would look right on a Walnut call.

Edited by GampasShop

i think its a nice touch adding the leather wrap...good id'er :thumbsup:

darryl

Ok, now a dumb question, has anyone ever done a basketweave pattern with a curved line for a starting point?? Am already thinking ahead for the next one I do and got to thinking about the curve.

I will have to see if I can dig the original piece of leather I cut for this one out of the trash and try a basketweave on it tonight. I am probably thinking about things way to much, but with one side being shorter than the other the spacing may have to be adjusted. Or I guess I can do the stamp from end to end.

Thanks LeatherBum, that tutorial confirmed my thoughts about spacing needing to be adjusted. I will practice on it tonight and see what I come up with.