McJeep

Tandy / Weaver Rivet Setter Compatibility

Have recently gotten to the point where I need to be using rivets for different jobs - am not fussy on the lack of strength of double cap easy rivets, but don't need the solid copper rivet strength for these things either and would rather avoid the eyesore of the peened over burrs on bike gear.

So it's time to get into the tubular rivets, but I'd like to be able to cap the backside of them rather than splash.

Found a good deal on the tandy bench top setter locally. The problem is that tandy does not offer a cap anvil for their tubular rivet setup - Weaver does :) for *their* press, but I can't modify a foot pedal to theirs where I can with the tandy one.

So, does anyone have experience with both and can tell me if the weaver cap anvil will fit the tandy press?

Also - Tandy does not list exactly what rivets they sell on their info (ie: 103/104 or whatever) but just list things by length. If I go to their setup am I locked into using their rivets?

Any and all info appreciated folks - need to jump on the bench rivet press (if I'm gonna get it) in the next day I think or will loose it :0/

Rob (rivetless in Canuckia) rolleyes2.gif

Edited by McJeep

Ok, so maybe this will help. I got my cap anvil from my Weaver Little Wonder and I took a few measurements.

Length overall 1.200

Length of top part .500

Length of bottom part .700 this is the part that goes in the press

Diameter of top part .500

Diameter of bottom part .375

Inside Diameter of cup .343 this is where the cap goes

Depth of cup .060

Inches of course.

So, all you have to do is apply the cup part to a TLF splash anvil or take a Weaver cap anvil and mill the shaft to fit the TLF press. You could make one out of 1/2 inch drill rod in a few minutes on the lathe.

Art

Art

Art - you are a Prince among men :)

Thanks very much - oh and BTW, keep yer eyes peeled for a lengthy note from me in the near future re certain manufacturing questions LOL

Thanks much again - now I'm armed with half of the measurements I need - so long as the shaft on the tandy setup is .375 or bigger, I can get a machinist buddy to mill it down for me :)

Good news! Just picked up the used press and the diameter of the stem for the bottom die is indeed .375 so no milling required

Hello Weaver? I need some stuff for my tandy press! ;0)

Thanks again guy :)

Edited by McJeep

Confirmed

The cap die from Weaver does indeed fit the Tandy hand press - which is cool because Tandy apparently does not want to deal much with tubular rivet caps - they don't sell em and they don't carry the dies

Real happy with the cleaner look of the caps on these, AND the fact that other than cosmetic uses I'm done with using flippin speedy rivets :)

MHO only, but everyone needs these! :)

Thanks again for the measurements Art You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

Have you found anyone who sells caps for stainless steel tubular rivets?

Art

Confirmed

The cap die from Weaver does indeed fit the Tandy hand press - which is cool because Tandy apparently does not want to deal much with tubular rivet caps - they don't sell em and they don't carry the dies

Real happy with the cleaner look of the caps on these, AND the fact that other than cosmetic uses I'm done with using flippin speedy rivets :)

MHO only, but everyone needs these! :)

Thanks again for the measurements Art You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

Nope - Weaver does so I just ordered about a thousand years worth of rivets and caps while I was at it ;0)

Settled for nickel over brass so still no rust or corrosion concerns