Sign in to follow this  
Bluesman

Rope Stamp

I am making a strap for a friend and he has picked out silver conchos with a gold rope border. My plan is to inset the conchos with a 1/8" bead bodrer and then do the balance of the strap with a basket weave. I thought a rope boder on the strap, to end the basket weave would compliment the conchos. Any thoughts, and also any photos of things you have done like this that I could look at? I will be using a #3 BK basket stamp on a 2 1/2" strap. What is the recommended rope size?

Thanks,

Jon

Jon,

I usea rope border stamp quite a bit. Here's an example of some different ways I run it from a thread a while back - Rope Stamp . The second post in that thread has some of my examples. I had Barry make the two sizes he shows on his website. I use the smaller one 90% of the time asa frame for a geometric or basket stamped pattern. About the only time I use the bigger one is either a stand alone border pattern on soemthing plain or to frame a huge waffle stamp I have.

Jon,

I usea rope border stamp quite a bit. Here's an example of some different ways I run it from a thread a while back - Rope Stamp . The second post in that thread has some of my examples. I had Barry make the two sizes he shows on his website. I use the smaller one 90% of the time asa frame for a geometric or basket stamped pattern. About the only time I use the bigger one is either a stand alone border pattern on soemthing plain or to frame a huge waffle stamp I have.

Bruce,

Great examples. I am trying to get the whole project straight in my head before I start even a practice piece. My layout would be on a 2 1/2" strap with 1/4" cut boarders to frame the design and include the stitch line. Basktweave would be the center with the rope boarder. I like your idea on the beveler and understand that. What I'm trying to get my head around is two things. Normally when I run a basket I go all the way to the cut edge, tipping the tool as needed. then I add the border. With this should I mark a bottom line were the rope would be and run the basket up to that line rope and then bevel? Or run the basket just short, rope, bevel and then finish the basket? Also with my outside cut boarder should I bevel the rope there? Won't that destroy the original boarder bevel as I would be beveling the opposite direction. Barry has three stamps now 1,2, and 3. I will ask him when I order.

Thanks for the help,

Jon

Jon,

I stamp my rope in first,. then basket stamp up pretty close. If I need to extend the leg impression of some basket stamps to get them even, I use a screwdriver blade the same width as the legs of the basket stamp. Sometimes I can do partial impressions with the stamp without overlapping the border though. Last thing I do is bevel the rope.

Jon,

I stamp my rope in first,. then basket stamp up pretty close. If I need to extend the leg impression of some basket stamps to get them even, I use a screwdriver blade the same width as the legs of the basket stamp. Sometimes I can do partial impressions with the stamp without overlapping the border though. Last thing I do is bevel the rope.

Bruce,

Picked up the R stamp from TLF and the beveler. I still need to grind the beveler but at present it works the way it is. Here's how I have been practicing. I layout two lineS, (training wheels) and the a 45* line and set my first impression. Then i stamp away from me so I can see both lines, the angle and also the overlap of one stamp to the previous stamp. Does this sound about right? Also if I am going to lay the rope up to a belt border edge. Won't the outside rope bevel destroy the edge bevel? My thoughts are to keep playing, post a couple pics for critique and then call Barry for a few R stamps and see if he can just make me a cusotm beveler. it's little bit more $, but then I know all is right. Just making sure that when i practice, I'm practicing good habits and not bad.

Thanks,

Jon