Sign in to follow this  
Highlands858

Leather Strength

One test for strength is to test its "break point". To do this you will need several pieces of leather all cut to the same size (length & width). You will also have to sort and record the thickness of each piece. You then hang the strip of leather for a very sturdy device and start hanging weights on it until it breaks. There are laboratory devices that do this with a hydraulic system, sort of the inverse of a press. This will l give you only an approximation of strength since there are a lot of factors that are hard to measure that will affect the strength, i.e. condition of the leather, the density of the fibers, the consistency of the leather across the whole test article =, i.e. variance in thickness from end to end and side to side.

A while back (years) Road Rider Magazine did testing of leather motorcycle gear to the same gear made form other materials, e.g. leather chaps to denim chaps to kevlar chaps. They not only measured strength but also wear resistance. This test was done by dragging the test article on the asphalt with a set weight on it to see how much abrasive damage was done over a set weight and distance. You might want to contact them to see of any of that data is still around and how they did all their testing.

BillB

On a related subject...

I've noticed that lace that I've cut from my veg-tanned tooling leather breaks much easier than commercial lace of the same dimentions. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or is it just the nature of the beast? (different tanning / type of leather)

Skye

Edited by Bard Skye