jwill2868

Help With Billy Cook Saddle

I found this saddle in a tack room at a horse farm while checking out other saddles to buy. I have read the history of Billy Cook and his saddlemaking in the other post and Im pretty sure this is a Simco/Longhorn version. The only markings on this saddle are the latigo holder (which is stamped Billy Cook Saddlery, Greenville, TX and the number 4701) and the saddle horn (inscribed Billy Cook Saddlery). There are no other markings on the skirt or fenders.

Also, I have looked at about 1,000 pictures of Billy Cook saddles. I can not find any saddles with this style of rigging system.

The saddle overall is in good shape. Solid tree, no cracking or dry rot of the leather, good fleece underneath. Just dusty from being stored.

Any opinions (value, identification etc.)?

post-35517-0-44900000-1349666703_thumb.j

post-35517-0-04898600-1349666787_thumb.j

Look to Monte Foreman balance ride for info on that type of rigging. At least that is where I first saw it. I have an almost 30 year old Brock Lynch aussie western stock saddle here that is the same rigging. Bulk less rigging. Never more that one thickness of latigo under your legs. Its ugly but effective. The Lynch also has the triangulated/forward hung stirrups with bearing pivot. Designed to help keep you in the riders groove with as much leg contact as possible.

Rufusjames, thanks for the info. I did some research on Monte Foreman and found that several saddle manufacturers (Circle Y, Hereford, Tex Tan to name a few) had the Balanced Ride system available as an option for their saddles. However, I have yet to find another Billy Cook saddle with that system. On a seperate note, could you help me out with how you rig your saddle? I have tried a couple of ways of lacing the cinch strap through the openings, but I'd like to see how someone else does it. Thanks again for your help.

From where the latigo is attached to the skirt go down to the cinch ring in through the back of the ring. Next up to the large hole on the skirt through from the front. Down to the cinch ring through the back. Then pull tight. Buckle the latigo. Pull the latigo to even out the tension and take up any slack. Check that it is tight enough for you. Run the rest through the front slot(keeper). You need a cinch with buckles on both ends to work correctly.

James

The book Saddles by Beatie has some info on different ways to tie this type of riggin.

James, that is how I was shown to tie the latigo strap. Also, I read somewhere while I was researching Monte Foreman Balanced Ride system that it is recommended to use a latigo strap on the off side in place of a billet strap. Once I did that, the saddle feels "locked on" the horse without having to cinch the girth up super tight. Thanks again for the information.

The only way this saddle compares to a Monte Foreman Balanced Ride Saddle is the rigging, The Balanced Ride saddle has a two point system for the stirrup leather, and has a flat seat. The original maker of the saddle was Fallis. TexTan sold a version in the late 60's.

tnawrot2, you are exactly right. That is also a baffling point with this saddle. As I have done some research, the balanced ride saddles have the "Genuine Balanced Ride" mark on the fenders.

No comparison made. Just info on the rigging design.