Sign in to follow this  

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and also to restoring saddles. I picked up an old Fallis saddle as well as a D.E. Walker Visalia made in San Francisco. They are both in good condition considering the age and how long ago they were actually used. But the sheepskin should be replaced I think (leaves some residue on your hand after touching and is warn in a couple places), also the Visalia saddle seems very narrow. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do about the narrowness? The skirts have sort of turned inward from the way it was stored. I'm assuming it was originally a semi-quarter horse tree, but at the moment I think it would only fit a pony! The gentleman I bought them from said they rode both saddles as kids and they owned a quarter horse. So, this was not a pony saddle originally. Some minor clean up is in order, but I'm wondering if there is a way to get this visalia back to usable condition? It's beautifully tooled and clearly well made. Even the saddle strings are in good condition, just a little dried out. The Fallis is awesome! I noticed the cinch leather is actually attached to the saddle itself. The leather seems to be in good condition, but I have no idea how I would replace them? I'm wondering if there is a "built in" d ring? Interesting saddles for sure. =) Any advice on how to clean them up and get them back to their former glory is welcome!!

One of my favorites for cleaning a saddle is Fiebing's yellow paste. It will leave the leather with a nice mellow glow. I don't know the age of the Walker-Visalia but the early cowboys were small men and often rode a 13" seat. They literally rode ponies, often under 14'2hh. Their horses were built more like small thoroughbreds, high withered and narrow. That might account for the narrow tree on the W-V.