mynholme

What is it?! Geo. Barnsley tool.

Hi everyone,

I've come across this old unusual tool, makers name Geo. Barnsley & Sons, but I have no idea what it is!

Can anyone help? hopefully my pictures will show up below!

Thanks for lookingwhatdoyouthink.gif

hun1gn.jpg

29mmand.jpg

Looks like a hand sprayer to me.

It's for driving a nail in a tight you can't get to with a hammer. To use it you pull the handle/ball and drop a nail in the tube. Then drive it with ball. Hit it as many times as it takes to drive the nail. It's more of carpenter's tool than a leather workers or at least i nave seen and leather workers useing one.

Shoe guys use them to drive nails.

It is indeed a nailer, used for driving nails from the inside of a boot, down into the heel block to secure the heel block to the upper. It's mostly used for tall boots, where it is impossible to reach with a conventional hammer.

As dirtclod has suggested, the nail is dropped into the side tube, the ball is raised, allowing the nail to drop down into contact with the shoe, and the ball is then walloped down to drive in the nail.

I stand corrected. Bruce and Celticleather are right it is for shoes and boots. I was thinking about a thing we used when i was doing carpenter work several years ago.

Nobody has ever accused me of being very smart. Guess i have had to much fun the last 56 years and it has affected my brain or whats left anyway...LOL.