LilRay

What Weight Leather Is Best To Use?

I'm a longtime musician, just learning leathercraft. For guitar/bass straps What weight leather is best to use???? And do you commonly back with a second layer of material like suede or leave natural? Anybody ever add neoprene or other cushioning agent?

Lotsa questions but I'm a total newbie.:helpsmilie:

God Bless, Ray

The ones i make i use 3 / 4 ounce top and bottom grain side out on both pieces if you want to be able to move it. It you to stay put line it suede or another piece with flesh side out. If your making one for a electric guitar you may to use a little heavier leather cause they are generally heavier.

I'm a longtime musician, just learning leathercraft. For guitar/bass straps What weight leather is best to use???? And do you commonly back with a second layer of material like suede or leave natural? Anybody ever add neoprene or other cushioning agent?

Lotsa questions but I'm a total newbie.:helpsmilie:

God Bless, Ray

I made a bass strap for myself out of 9/10 oz skirting leather and didn't line it. I've also made one for a local guitarist (electric guitar) out of 13/15 oz. unlined (tooled with flames and dyed black with skull conchos...) and he loves it, it holds it's shape really well and he can just flip it up on his shoulder.

Thanks! Off to shop. LOL!

God Bless, Ray