Sign in to follow this  
bruce johnson

Storing a Plough Gauge

My wife is requesting I post this question. As some know (especially those on another list) I have a plough gauge and really like it. I need some advice about storing it for easy access. It lives now on a bench, usually pushed blade in to the back wall (but not always). She is afraid of me reaching across it, much like the great homemade string beveler incident she heard about secondhand. I tried hanging it on the pegboard, but that exposed blade edge pointing up looks worse to me. How does anyone else store one? If you want to say. "Just leave it on the bench", I'd owe you one but she'd see through it.

My method has always been pretty primitive, Bruce. It is about 7 feet off the floor and I can reach it pretty easily and it has never fallen down.

Tony.gauge.JPG

post-5242-1246950141_thumb.jpg

My wife is requesting I post this question. As some know (especially those on another list) I have a plough gauge and really like it. I need some advice about storing it for easy access. It lives now on a bench, usually pushed blade in to the back wall (but not always). She is afraid of me reaching across it, much like the great homemade string beveler incident she heard about secondhand. I tried hanging it on the pegboard, but that exposed blade edge pointing up looks worse to me. How does anyone else store one? If you want to say. "Just leave it on the bench", I'd owe you one but she'd see through it.

No experience with plough gauges, but those string makers really like to bite, don't they? Mine bit me in the back of the arm a few weeks ago. Had to butterfly the cut to close it (Shoud've gotten stitches). Funny thing is, I never even felt it cut. I figured it out when I felt the blood running down my arm and dripping off my hand. At least I didn't wreck any leather this time! :)

I keep mine in a tiny chest of drawers that live on the end of the cutting bench. My knives live in the drawer below and the one at the bottom houses all the other seriously pointy sharp things. I never poke my paws in there without looking what I'm doing as there are far too many things in there waiting to take the ends of my fingers off

Ray

Edited by UKRay