rscow

Plaited Leather Belt

I was looking at Ron Edwards' Bush Leatherwork. And decided to try my hands at a plaited leather belt. I made some lace up and got started. But I am not sure I quite get it. I think the instructions for plaiting are great. But I am not happy with the lace I made. It doesn't want to lay up next to it's strand mates.

I didn't make it out of kangaroo, not having one about. I tried some horse hide...reckoning it is strong and smooth and cuts well. But it just doesn't seem right. For one thing it is almost square in cross section.

Could try some thin 4 oz cowhide.

But before I waste a piece of hide, I thought I would seek help.

I'm using a plastic lace maker. Is there a better choice? If I were looking at 3/16 wide strips...how thick are we talking about? What about treating the strands before plaiting?

There shouldn't be any gaps between the plaited strands, right?

Rambling...but looking forward to some advice.

Thanks

Roger

I made some wider lace. And I softened each strand with some saddle soap. It turned out okay, but no where near as nice as the ones that other folks have made...still kind of gappy. So, if I'm going to try this again, I am going to have to either buy some Roo lace, or a hide, or shoot one if it goes by my house. We don't have a lot of wild Roo in Arkansas. And I'm not sure how much lace a possum would give up.

RDS

I made some wider lace. And I softened each strand with some saddle soap. It turned out okay, but no where near as nice as the ones that other folks have made...still kind of gappy. So, if I'm going to try this again, I am going to have to either buy some Roo lace, or a hide, or shoot one if it goes by my house. We don't have a lot of wild Roo in Arkansas. And I'm not sure how much lace a possum would give up.

RDS

More than you would think if you cut from a round !!