MagnusWyvern

Multi-Color Dying

This may just end up being that I already do it right, but I have experimented with some multi-colored dying and it's never quite right.

For example, black background, red cross. (This is all with dyes, no paints)

I dye right up to the edge of the cross, but then I need to air brush right against it or use a paintbrush.

I find when I do this, the dye just doesn't saturate enough in the parts I airbrush or paint and I try and get it heavier but it's like it doesn't even want to soak in.

Any magical tips that I should know about?

I guess it's that I can't seem to get enough dye close to the edge without endangering the part that's supposed to be red, if I load up the dye it could flow over and it's ruined.

Richard

Edited by MagnusWyvern

Richard, I don't see a problem.....think about it....black will cover red . I do the red and then use a black sharpie to highlight the bevel and a large black magicmarker for about 1/4" around the design. You have to let it dry to see the degree of saturation....I really lay it on ..3 or more applications the first time. I don't keep the sharpie up against the bevel, if it is not moving. I make 2 light passes and then use the large one, giving the egde of the bevel time to dry.The sharpie dye seems to act as a sealer of sorts. (Don't know for sure) I coat the design with a coat of neetsheen, and paint the edges with a brush...then you can do all of the black..As black can be splotchy, I let it dry for about an hour and then go over it again...just make sure the design is the color you want before you seal.

I have used MagicMarkers since the 70's as when I was deployed overseas in the army, supplies were whatever you can find,even chemicals and vegtables are a good source of color..beets make the most beautiful red......This is just a self-taught method and you need to experiment to get it right...hope it helped!!!!

A Harley seat all colors except black field, done with Sharpie's and MagicMarkers.......

Picture 4.jpg

Picture 6.jpg

post-13641-126598302363_thumb.jpg

post-13641-126598308156_thumb.jpg

Very interesting, I would never have considered sharpies and markers. They give a very good effect! What finish do you use?

cj :)