Sign in to follow this  
spooky

How Do I Use A Plough Gauge?

Okay, dumb newbie question ahead =)

I'm used to using a strap cutter to cut strips of leather. I've been told that plough gauges are able to cut greater thicknesses of leather, so I'd be interested in learning how to use one... but I've got no idea how they work!

And, how on earth do you sharpen the blades? I've seen photos of ones that have been pulled apart and the blades look a weird shape.

Plough gauges are pushed. The blade is in line with your hand so there is no increased torque as the strap gets wider. There is a roller bar in front of the blade to keep the leather from riding up the cutting edge. The width is adjusted by a guide fence the left of the blade. The blade is only sharpened on the front edge - and sharpened about like any other knife. They are used flat on the table instead of off the table like a draw gauge. Here is a short video we did for a museum display of leather tools showing a draw gauge and plough gauge in use -