DRA6N

The New Guy From Az!

Hey all, new here and new to leatherworking. I actually dont even own anything related to leatherworking (yet). I was looking at places that sell leather covers for my flask and as I dug deeper, I thought about making one myself.. I stumbled upon the world of leatherworking!

I stopped by Tandy today and they showed me around, taught me a lot about the different kinds of leather, and how certain things are done like molding, dying, stiching and stamping. I even got to stamp some scraps and play around with a swivel knife. I am pretty excited to start this.

I am leaving the country very soon to korea for a year so I am not sure how much stuff I can get shipped to me there. I am going to purchase the deluxe starter kit soon from Tandy as it has some neat beginner projects and a DVD to follow. Looks like it touches on cutting, molding, dying, tooling etc. I think it would be a good start.

This looks to be a great hobby to pass the time by while I'm stuck over there, and I may even make a little profit from some projects.

I hope to learn a lot and gain more inspiration from these forums!

- Rob

Welcome to the site, and don't worry...you can get leather in Korea. Also....provided you can still get internet, you can always check in here. NOT having access to Tandy may be a good thing for you...you'll learn to make tools, and how to create effects with commonly found items. Keep in mind that the old masters didn't have a Tandy to get their tools from. Of course, there's internet sales, and I'm pretty sure I've seen S. Korea's flag here before. The tools may be a little different, but you should still be able to find something to work with if you can't fabricate your own.