Matt Alsaker

Moss/pasted Flesh, Sanded/buffed Flesh?

I recently stopped using leather from Tandy and ordered a couple sides of Hermann Oak "B grade" from Springfield Leather. I've been poking around on Hermann Oaks and Wickett & Craigs sight. I don't need and can't afford to buy 10 plus sides at a time directly from Hermann Oak, but might try a couple sides from Wickett & Craig. When looking at options...what does moss / pasted flesh mean and is it worth paying extra for? What does sanded / buff flesh mean and is that worth paying for? I'm guessing what I ordered from Springfield Leather had none of these things done and I had no issues with the flesh side. I generally make holsters, knife sheaths, and wallets. I also noticed on Hermann Oaks website that they offer Tooling & Carving, Strap, and Holster leather. I assumed these were all the same veg tan leather, but noticed on their Holster leather they do not offer moss or pasted flesh. Is there a difference in these leathers from Hermann Oak?

I've only been working with leather since last fall, so thanks for helping a new guy out.

I recently stopped using leather from Tandy and ordered a couple sides of Hermann Oak "B grade" from Springfield Leather. I've been poking around on Hermann Oaks and Wickett & Craigs sight. I don't need and can't afford to buy 10 plus sides at a time directly from Hermann Oak, but might try a couple sides from Wickett & Craig. When looking at options...what does moss / pasted flesh mean and is it worth paying extra for? What does sanded / buff flesh mean and is that worth paying for? I'm guessing what I ordered from Springfield Leather had none of these things done and I had no issues with the flesh side. I generally make holsters, knife sheaths, and wallets. I also noticed on Hermann Oaks website that they offer Tooling & Carving, Strap, and Holster leather. I assumed these were all the same veg tan leather, but noticed on their Holster leather they do not offer moss or pasted flesh. Is there a difference in these leathers from Hermann Oak?

I've only been working with leather since last fall, so thanks for helping a new guy out.

I recently ordered a 6/7 oz Hermann Oak back with moss flesh from Goliger Leather out of curiosity. I was told the moss flesh is that the tannery applies a liquid to the flesh side to make it smooth.

The back I received was very nice. The flesh side is very nice and "soft" to feel on the surface (the leather is just as firm as any Hermann Oak. It does not have a prickly feel like the flesh side of any leather that has been split. I would imagine that it would be applicable for projects where you don't intend to line it. I have seen people make envelope style covers for Ipads, and they don't line it as a style. But the split fibres of a firm tannage like HO might be just enough to finely scratch the contents of these covers. Moss flesh might be better for such projects.

But if you intend to do any carving or stamping, I think it might be just a waste of money, because most likely you will glue it to some backing, and the moss flesh will be lost after you have removing the backing.

Contact Goliger Leather, they will send you cuttings upon request.

I've had leather from W&C split and buffed. The buffing is kinda like it sounds. They sand the flesh side a bit so it's not that fuzzy. It's a little less rough than normal but not a whole bunch less. Keep in mind that W&C can "refinish" the flesh side. Since their leathers are not struck through with dye, when they split the leather, the flesh side becomes lighter in color. When they refinish, the can respray the flesh side with dye so it matches the grain side. This is only important if the the flesh side will be seen I guess.

Andrew