greekgod

My New Strop. What Do You Guys Think

Hey guys just bought a new strop today from local craftsman who makes them as a hobby now. He said its got lace grade leather from US. Have a look ..getting there slowly ..

post-46283-0-35940900-1383479629_thumb.jpost-46283-0-35566400-1383479640_thumb.jpost-46283-0-83275100-1383479644_thumb.jpost-46283-0-51147100-1383479650_thumb.j

Looks Good and should be a great addition to your tool chest.

God Bless.

Ray

Param, it looks like that strop is charged with black buffing compound. Unfortunately, that may not be the best compound for leather knifes. You may want to read this post about the different buffing compounds: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=33539&hl=%2Bbuffing+%2Bcompounds

Good luck and keep with it!

Michelle

In a later post of Terry's he recommends Brownells Black compound.Here is the information from his post.

I'm very happy its working for you! Yes, that edge should hold up for a long time just by stropping. As usual, I recommend the Brownell's 555 Black compound for that or for buffing on a wheel. Keep it as flat as possible while just making contact with the edge. Adjust the angle according to your preference, but too much edge into the wheel or on the strop rounds the edge over and though it still might cut, it won't glide through as effortlessly when you cut. That sweet spot has to be "discovered"...its nothing I can explain, but when you find it, you'll notice a big difference! When it comes time to hone it, try to keep that gradually tapered convex edge. Any shoulder from honing a flat bevel will tend to hang up and resist the cut...

Terry