KnotHead

Help! Advice And Wisdom Needed...

I have a potential customer that came by way of Facebook. Below is the message that he sent along with an image of what he would like to see done or modified.

Message goes like so;

Looking to have something like this made up to use to go under my horses bridle to tie with. So need something strong enough that wont break if a horse pulls. and as fine as possible so its not cumbersome under the bridle. This is a tie down but I think it would work as a halter as it gives nose and poll pressure. need to be adjustable for different head size. let me know if you can do something like this. Thanks Lennor Very nice work

post-1307-0-48334800-1424638528_thumb.jp

Now if anyone or all can offer any advice and wisdom. I'd greatly appreciate it. I'd also be willing to pass this potential work along to another braider who has more experience than I do making horse gear.

Brian...

6 or 8 plait round, or 10-12 plait flat or half round in Roo, with paracord as the core. For flat straps, lay two strips of paracord side by side and secure with some small tie strings. For adjustment, how about an eye braided into the end of the cross piece, and a few small buttons braided onto the ends of the larger piece? The nose band ends would sit between the buttons, but could be worked up/over the buttons to adjust the size.

The paracord core should give plenty of strength, as each one of them has a 550lb tensile strength.

Try Aggiebraider a member on here. He should be able to help you out.

Thank you all for the advice and wisdom. I am presenting the customer with an option now and will see if he likes that idea.

Brian...

Here's what we've used for a tie down. The cord that goes over the poll is 1/4"-3/16", something like that, the rope body is 3/8". The adjustment is tied like a regular rope halter ties, and the connecting part where the snap is can be substituted with 3 links of chain where the two outside links have the rope go through, and the middle link is where the snap connects. I can get you a pic of one with the chain if you'd like. I think the chain looks better than this store bought piece in the pic. I'm planning on braiding something like this sometime, but one thing to consider is the noseband part needs to be fairly smooth so it doesn't rub a raw spot on their nose. We put electrical tape over the rope to smooth it up, but I have to come up with a better solution than electrical tape for that. Maybe a flat braid across the nose and transition to round like TwinOaks suggested.

Want anymore details, let me know. Bret11014709_424504791033128_333882153503394

11021188_424505044366436_596126468970868

Well the customer is thinking about it. So, this tells me that he don't like the price. Thank you to all who advised me on this. I learned something by this anyway.

Brian...