caaront

Howdy From Texas

I originally posted this in the Getting Started forum, but then I saw this forum and think this goes here, sorry for the double post and hope this is the right place.

Hi everyone, I haven't done anything with leather since I was a teen in summer school when I made a nice tooled wallet. Life and the Army has kept me busy until 2002 when I was medically discharged after a neck injury and 2 surgeries.

What got me interested in getting a kit and getting started is a Bible cover a friend at church made me, it is pretty nice, and I thought I'd like to get into making western styled stuff, and maybe even some biker styled accessories.

I am currently remodeling my home so I am pretty busy, and pretty broke after buying supplies every two weeks, but I might squeeze a starter kit in there somewhere soon and start creating.

I am seriously considering this kit here:

http://www.tandyleat...d/55510-00.aspx

I'm sure it is a great bargain and would give me a pretty good start, but please opine.

Glad to be here, and hopefully in time I'll get a kit and have a finished photo for y'all to critique and hopefully admire.

Thank you, Aaron.

P.S. I am also into medievil armour as well as fantasy armour, I'd love to also get into making leather armour.

Aaron, Welcome aboard! I don't know if you have a Tandy near you but, you missed a good Black Friday sale. I got some good deals. As for as LW.net, this is "the" place to connect and to get more. Welcome aboard and good luck with your remodeling.

Thank you for the nice welcome, there is a Tandy Leather in FT. Worth near the VA outpattient clinic, I plan on stopping to check it out on the 5th of DEC.

Welcome Aaron.

I am relatively new at this leather work myself. I started this year with that very kit. I got my money's worth out of it in learning since it was my first exposure to leather working. I am actually using the belt and the wallet now. I am also still using most of the tools: the mallet, punch, swivel knife, dye, and some of the stamping tools.

A word of advice if you are a total beginner like I was. This kit does not have what I would expect for step-by-step directions. The how-to's are all there with included patterns and general instructions, but there is no clear cut starting place. I had to read through material a few times and study it before I finally just dove into one of the projects. Also, it doesn't come with any scrap leather to practice on. So I suggest starting with the simplest items, like the coaster or key fob, and treat it all as a learning process. Expect to mess up a few times. Some things are hard to teach from books, like making sure your pattern is laid out correctly on the leather. Yep. I ended up with my pattern going from front to back on the checkbook cover rather than across the front.bawling.gif But I am learning to be more careful now.

Anyway. I think that kit is worth the money, and welcome aboard. I am about to post some pics of my first real project on here.

Ron

Welcome Aaron.

I am relatively new at this leather work myself. I started this year with that very kit. I got my money's worth out of it in learning since it was my first exposure to leather working. I am actually using the belt and the wallet now. I am also still using most of the tools: the mallet, punch, swivel knife, dye, and some of the stamping tools.

A word of advice if you are a total beginner like I was. This kit does not have what I would expect for step-by-step directions. The how-to's are all there with included patterns and general instructions, but there is no clear cut starting place. I had to read through material a few times and study it before I finally just dove into one of the projects. Also, it doesn't come with any scrap leather to practice on. So I suggest starting with the simplest items, like the coaster or key fob, and treat it all as a learning process. Expect to mess up a few times. Some things are hard to teach from books, like making sure your pattern is laid out correctly on the leather. Yep. I ended up with my pattern going from front to back on the checkbook cover rather than across the front.bawling.gif But I am learning to be more careful now.

Anyway. I think that kit is worth the money, and welcome aboard. I am about to post some pics of my first real project on here.

Ron

Thank you Ron, and good luck on your projects.

Welcome to the forum.

Thank you.