Spence

Marking for stitching/lacing

What does everyone use to mark the leather where you plan to stitch or lace. I don't want to leave marks and what I have in mind is to stitch and lace further in from the edge than the groover will go and a compass will leave a mark. I have thought about a piece of chalk, grease-type pencil - something that can be wiped off without leaving residue?

Not that crazy about the gooving either, but that's another topic.

Tks

I sometimes use the appropriate stitching wheel from Osborne. Depending on the amount of stitches per inch that I am trying to achieve. I then follow it with my stitching awl and punch the coordinating holes until done. I hope this answers your questions. Good luck

I have measured out the curves or lines I want on a piece of paper near the edge, measured where the holes were going to be, and then placed it right next to where I wanted the holes on the leather. That way I could only mark where the actual holes are going to be punched with a stylus.

I use Gomph overstitch wheels... but for me, each mark represents a hole, so i'm either using an awl in the mark, or lacing nippers in the mark, when I'm done, there are no marks left.

I'm not quite sure how to picture what you describe...Do you have any visual examples?