Sign in to follow this  
rkrgirl

Cleaning And Oiling While Showing Off My New Tex Tan!

Hello all! I just got this saddle, I am so in love with it! I am a buckstitch fanatic and was so excited to see this one for sale. The buck stitching is perfect BUT it needs a really good cleaning. The leather is still in good shape. It is soft and pliable with just some minor cracking in areas. I have purchased several used saddles, but they have only needed an oiling. The one time I tried saddle soap, it looked like it built up in the tooling similar to this saddle. So what is the best process to get this back to looking good? And what should I use to get in the cracks of the tooling, a small brush? I have attached pics to try and see the "gunk".

Also, this may be a dumb question, but I have never needed a saddle re-flocked. This one needs to be. I ride in a 5 Star mohair pad 7/8" thick. It is supposed to absorb shock, conform to the horse and keep horses dry. What does the fleece do on the underside of the saddle? I've heard it was for shock, but wouldn't my pad do a better job? Just curious. Don't worry, I will have it re-flocked anyway just because it is rather ugly!!

Thanks!

Edited to shrink a HUGE picture!!

post-18277-064067100 1296849668_thumb.jp

post-18277-004863200 1296850126_thumb.jp

Edited by rkrgirl

rkrgirl,

Your 5 Star pad is one of the best out there for disbursing pressure and helping saddles work well, no question. The fleece on the bottom of the skirts will add a bit more of that pressure distributing effect. The studies that have been done on padding consistently show wool, fleece and, yes, reindeer hair (a study from northern Europe) are the best at distributing pressure. I've also heard that it helps keep the blankets in place compared to just the leather. By the way, I've only ever heard the term reflocking used for English saddles. I've never used it heard as a term for relining Western skirts, but then, I haven't heard everything yet either. Sorry I can't help you with your other questions. Someone else here can, I am sure.

You are likely in for the long haul so pull up a chair and get comfortable and arm yourself with a soft toothbrush and toothpicks. Cleaning the saddle likely won't loosen the hardened soap but it's a good start, using the toothbrush. Don't scrub or you will bring up a nap and you don't want that. What doesn't let go, get out your toothpick and work it out bit by bit. Can you post a pic of the underside? Remove the cantle and pommel screws and washers and clean under them and add new ones. It's amazing the difference 20 cents worth of screws and washers make to the saddle's appearance.

Edited by Saddlebag

Denise, yes, I love the 5 Star products. I think I may love my 5 Star cinches more than the pads! And yes, the reflocking term is most likely in reference to an English saddle. That nugget must have stuck in my head somehow ...I don't even ride English!

Saddlebag, I believe that I am in for the long haul, comfortable chair required!! It's alright, winter won't end in my area for a while.

I took a picture of the underside of the saddle. Someone before me tried to replace some of the conchos, so I will replace all of them and the strings in the back. That is about the extent of what I will try to fix, I will have to take it somewhere for the fleece and a small repair on the back cinch. In my 25 years of saddle ownership, I haven't had to clean one up as much as this one needs, so my experience is more limited to oiling. Do you recommend any good soaps or cleaning products?

It is kind of a shame so much buildup got on it in the first place, but it looks pretty solid yet.

Thank you for all your replies!

post-18277-092806900 1297178762_thumb.jp

post-18277-042339900 1297178922_thumb.jp

Edited by rkrgirl

Glycerin soap is good. If you decide to have someone refleece the saddle you will have a choice of synthetic (no shrinkage) and genuine sheep skin/wool. Before anyone does anything to it inquire as to how the new fleece will be sewn and if the original holes will be used. I've seen them with new stitch lines and to me it devalues the saddle. My machine can be set to use the original holes.