Sign in to follow this  
Old Navy

Is my awl ruined?

Hi I bent my thin osborne awl.Can I hammer it back straight or Is it toast?I was stabbing into 2 pieces of 8 oz. leather.I should have used my thicker awl.We get to soon old and to late smart.Navy

Edited by Old Navy

Toast. First, I am surprised it bent. That means it was soft enough to bend vs. breaking. It may be soft enough for you to slowly and carefully tap it back out straight, however, now there may be a work harden portion that may break on any further 'stress'. I was reading a very old thread on heat treating steel last night and there was a discussion of the difference between the 'flex' of a blade and the 'bend' of a blade. Flex means the blade returns to its original shape. When the steel is flexed beyond the limits of its elasticity, it bends. At the point of the bend, it has lost some of its strength and becomes weaker. It may be prudent to replace the awl blade before it bends or breaks and you accidentally stick yourself or mess up your project.

Hi I bent my thin osborne awl.Can I hammer it back straight or Is it toast?I was stabbing into 2 pieces of 8 oz. leather.I should have used my thicker awl.We get to soon old and to late smart.Navy

It's probably toast because the work you'd have to do to straighten it is more demanding that just going and buying a new one.

RandyScott gave you some good advice, and, coincidentally, I just posted a piece involving making an awl the way my master taught me when I apprenticed with him. Sometimes the straightening is worth the effort.

Hope this helps...and...

Don't shoot yore eye out, kid

The Capgun Kid