Sign in to follow this  
alb

Need Help With Rope Edge Cheyenne Roll

Hello all,

I'm in the process of replacing the cheyenne roll on this saddle. It is the first time I've done one with a rope edge. I just pulled off the first attempt, which I determined was probably too thick, and cut a new piece of leather from the belly.

How do I get the leather pulled in really tight around the rope? How much forming needs to be done before I lace it? I just read in another post dealing with a cheyenne roll that the underside should be skived down to about 3-4 oz. I've not done that before and I don't remember seeing that on any of the bindings that I've replaced. Is it common to do this?

If someone could give me a quick walk through the process I'd appreciate it. Also, at what point in the process should the buckstitching be done?

Thanks very much,

AnnDSC_9137.JPG

post-11779-127061808973_thumb.jpg

Ann,

I've done a few of these replacements. As far as the buckstitching. Once you fit up the binding you can mark your line and then take it off and punch the slits and lace it before the final assembly. Even if it originally went through the seat leather, your stitch line will catch it anyway. I start with my binding being about 8 oz or so. I leave it full back to the area where the rope will start to be formed and then skive it down to about 5 oz or so. I form it in tight to the depressions between the ropes. I start with my fingers and finish with a tool to really seat it. My favorite tool for the this is a deer antler spike. I punch my lacing slits when it is pretty dry and then pull it down tight.

Thanks for the response Bruce. I really appreciate you taking the time.

I think another of my mistakes was trying to punch the slits when the leather was too wet.

We'll see how attempt #2 goes....

Ann

Ann,

I've done a few of these replacements. As far as the buckstitching. Once you fit up the binding you can mark your line and then take it off and punch the slits and lace it before the final assembly. Even if it originally went through the seat leather, your stitch line will catch it anyway. I start with my binding being about 8 oz or so. I leave it full back to the area where the rope will start to be formed and then skive it down to about 5 oz or so. I form it in tight to the depressions between the ropes. I start with my fingers and finish with a tool to really seat it. My favorite tool for the this is a deer antler spike. I punch my lacing slits when it is pretty dry and then pull it down tight.