Sign in to follow this  
tashabear

sewing soft leather

I recently purchased a side of moose hide with which to make a pair of lower leg coverings to fit over armor. I'm going to have to hand sew them, as I do not own a sewing machine, but I don't know what technique to use. An awl and two needles doesn't seem like it would work, as the material is so floppy. I seem to be shy at least one hand for managing the leather, if not two.

A stitching chisel doesn't seem like the right tool. It seems like I'd have a hard time keeping the line straight, as I don't think I can cut a stitching groove.

Would I be wanting a glover's needle? Can I do a saddle stitch or double running stitch with a glover's needle, or do I run the risk of cutting the thread in the hole? I don't really want to use a stitching awl, as I want this to be as durable as possible, since the fighter in question will be wearing these a LOT, and really gets into the thick of things.

Does anyone have any ideas? Push comes to shove, I can probably use rivets, but I think we'd both prefer the cleaner look of stitching.

use a multi-prong chisel. you can draw a line with a pencil on the inside to keep yourself straight. then sew it up with a saddle stich

I recently purchased a side of moose hide with which to make a pair of lower leg coverings to fit over armor. I'm going to have to hand sew them, as I do not own a sewing machine, but I don't know what technique to use. An awl and two needles doesn't seem like it would work, as the material is so floppy. I seem to be shy at least one hand for managing the leather, if not two.

A stitching chisel doesn't seem like the right tool. It seems like I'd have a hard time keeping the line straight, as I don't think I can cut a stitching groove.

Would I be wanting a glover's needle? Can I do a saddle stitch or double running stitch with a glover's needle, or do I run the risk of cutting the thread in the hole? I don't really want to use a stitching awl, as I want this to be as durable as possible, since the fighter in question will be wearing these a LOT, and really gets into the thick of things.

Does anyone have any ideas? Push comes to shove, I can probably use rivets, but I think we'd both prefer the cleaner look of stitching.

Glovers needles are meant for lightweight leather, and are self piercing. They are a triangular shape in cross section, and the corners of the "triangle" are very sharp. If you try saddle stitching with them, you will just cut your threads.

Are the seams just straight seams? Are there a lot of them, or just a couple? If you would prefer to have them sewn on a machine, maybe you could ask your local upholsterer to zip them through his machine for a small fee? Most upholsterers have industrial walking foot machines, and would probably be happy to help you out. Just an idea.

Maybe you could get a diamond point awl with a slim blade from Bob Douglas, and saddle stitch? Do you own a stitching pony or stitching horse? I'd gladly GIVE you my stitching pony that I bought from Tandy if you thought it would help. I never use it, and would send it to a good home for the cost of shipping... Might help with the "needing an extra hand" problem?

Just thinking out loud...

Hilly