kc8290

Fortuna Skiving Machine V50 S Question

Hello All - I'm trying to learn more about skiving machines so I can purchase the correct type that will fullfill my needs.

There is a local store that sells used industrial machinery and they have a FORTUNA BRAND MODEL NO. V 50 S skiving machine for sale at a good price so I'm considering purchasing it. They have little knowledge of the machines capabilities.

I need a skiving machine that will skive the end of belts at the bend. From what I can tell from reading posts on this forum I believe this is called lap skiving. I also need the ability to split a belt. For example to make a money belt where a portion of the belt is split and sewed back together to form the money pouch. The leather I use ranges from 8-12 oz.

Does anyone know if the v50 s machine will fulfill my needs? I tried to look up information on this machine on the net but could not find any specs.

Thank you.

Ken

Ken,

What you want is a pull-through leather splitter with a depth adjustment that moves while splitting to make the transitions to the skived/split area smoothly. An example of that would be handled splitter like an Osborne #84 splitter.

That is not the machine to do what you are wanting to do. It will split the whole belt down if you use the wide foot, set it level, and set it up with the correct feedwheel for vegtan leather. It will not selectively do one area without a lot of practice and hassle. They feed pretty fast and would be hard to control for a short area. As a side note, I am not sure I would buy one from a seller that had no idea of the capabilities of what they are selling unless the price was so fabulous that I could afford to lose it if it didn't work out. Some of these are good and some are wore out from production work. There are other resellers around who know these machines and can give you a good idea of what they have and condition.

Bruce – This Fortuna looks like it is in very good condition (on the outside) but I know you are very knowledgeable of skivers so if you don’t think it will fulfill my needs than I will reconsider. I will look into the #84. I was going to visit Weaver Leather today (I live about an hour away) so I will look at their selection. They have a Heritage brand that is patterned after the old Osborne #84. Not sure about the quality.

Thanks.

Hi Ken,

Campbell Bosworth makes the Keystone splitter that is, for all intent and purposes, an 84. It is a great machine, very high quality, you pretty much get what you pay for. The Heritage I'm not too sure about. I have a few of their tools and they are very functional, I just don't have their splitter. The Heritage foot operated punches/setters are a little wobbly, but that can be fixed. The Chinese versions of the Fortuna are also pretty good, but the directions are a bit wonky. I don't know if you need a grain of salt or a grain of Valium when reading them.

Art

Bruce – This Fortuna looks like it is in very good condition (on the outside) but I know you are very knowledgeable of skivers so if you don’t think it will fulfill my needs than I will reconsider. I will look into the #84. I was going to visit Weaver Leather today (I live about an hour away) so I will look at their selection. They have a Heritage brand that is patterned after the old Osborne #84. Not sure about the quality.

Thanks.

Hello Art - Went to Weaver lether today (my favorite store). Their 8" Heritage skiver looks just like the Tandy skiver to me. It looked nice.

Yes that Keystone looks like a very nice one. Pricey but like you said you get what you pay for. I think I will do a little more looking. I'm having second thoughts on buying a used Fortuna from a stranger. I'll take a look at the Chinese version of the Fortuna. HighLead skiver looks nice.

Thank you.

Hi again Ken,

If the Fortuna is cheap, it is a handy puppy to have. Shoeschool did a video on the Fortuna that you might want to view. Skivers have a bunch of adjustments, but once you understand them it ain't rocket science, however you might need a part or 2 like a steel feed wheel for veg tan, the stone wheel works ok on chrome tan. There is a lot you can do with that machine and a few feet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRh7Z5my2iQ&feature=related

Art

Hello Art - Went to Weaver lether today (my favorite store). Their 8" Heritage skiver looks just like the Tandy skiver to me. It looked nice.

Yes that Keystone looks like a very nice one. Pricey but like you said you get what you pay for. I think I will do a little more looking. I'm having second thoughts on buying a used Fortuna from a stranger. I'll take a look at the Chinese version of the Fortuna. HighLead skiver looks nice.

Thank you.