Hey there...

I'm currently working on a phone case which is molded on one side, using a plastic shaper to get the fit nice and tight around the side of the phone. Shape-wise this is working great, but I'm noticing that the dye isn't absorbing properly on those places that have been rubbed by the shaping tool. It absorbs somewhat, but not to the same degree as the rest of the piece, so the sides come out looking slightly discolored.

Any idea how I can avoid this problem? Is it a product of wetting the leather when molding and not letting it dry properly, or is there a way to restore the leather after it's been rubbed down?

Thanks!

You can try wiping it down with alcohol or deglazer, and that might help. If you did any molding with your fingers, there's probably been a transfer of hand oils/sweat from your skin to the leather. Also, if you burnished it any, that can affect the dye absorbtion. Recommendation: Dye before molding and avoid the issue.