Chief31794

Musician's Belt With A Dobro Capo Case

I started making these Mechanic's Belts for Musicians and they seem to be pretty popular. The capo case is for a Charlie's Slide Pro Capo which is selling well around the country and I have been making quite a few of them because a dobro capo wont mount on the head stock or much of any where else like a guitar or banjo capo will. Anyway here tis'.

Chief

post-6362-0-55418800-1437910137_thumb.jp

post-6362-0-91238700-1437910157_thumb.jp

post-6362-0-06588200-1437910159_thumb.jp

post-6362-0-26958100-1437910160_thumb.jp

post-6362-0-98798800-1437910161_thumb.jp

post-6362-0-06709200-1437910164_thumb.jp

post-6362-0-48648600-1437910165_thumb.jp

Chief,

Thanks again for doing the you tube video on that belt pattern. I did my first one on a very poor piece of leather called a belt blank from Tandy and even that came out looking not bad. Even where I got it out of whack a little bit when you view the whole belt you don't notice it. I also do not have the exact tools you used but it still worked.

I especially liked the tip on lining up the outside camouflage border, it was one of those "duh" moments. I have two squares on my table and that simple tip eluded me until you pointed it out.

Couple more questions in regards to the belt you have here.

Where do you get those mechanics buckles?

What dye and top finish are you using on the belt in this post?

Chief,

Thanks again for doing the you tube video on that belt pattern. I did my first one on a very poor piece of leather called a belt blank from Tandy and even that came out looking not bad. Even where I got it out of whack a little bit when you view the whole belt you don't notice it. I also do not have the exact tools you used but it still worked.

I especially liked the tip on lining up the outside camouflage border, it was one of those "duh" moments. I have two squares on my table and that simple tip eluded me until you pointed it out.

Couple more questions in regards to the belt you have here.

Where do you get those mechanics buckles?

What dye and top finish are you using on the belt in this post?

Thanks,

I buy belt bends and cut the belts from them, they are Hermann Oak and come from Springfield Leather Company.

The buckles are available at Springfield Leather Company as well, I skive the buckle portion about 4oz worth, then take a piece of 3/4 ounce leather punch a hole for the hook to come through and one for a rivet, I skive the rear edge so that it meets with the skive taper on the belt, glue it in with Master's Contact Cement (you guessed it, SLC), then stitch it in by hand.

The dye is not from SLC, it is Tandy's Dark Brown Antique Gel. I put the buckle on the smooth side of the leather piece so that when it's glued in it looks like the rest of the back of the belt, I dress it on a Oscillating Spindle Sander to make it look smooth and seamless. Here's a picture of what the buckle looks like, I haven't looked at Ohio Travel Bag, but they probably carry them also. I also added a picture of the backside, the loop is stitched into the seam for the buckle.

Thanks,

Chief

post-6362-0-85931100-1437917682_thumb.jp

post-6362-0-14976900-1437918689_thumb.jp

Edited by Chief31794

Chief,

Thank-you. I'll be calling in my order in the morning. I have a bottle of that gel dye but never tried it after a couple of other disasters using some of the Tandy branded stuff. After seeing your results I am going to pound out a scrap and give it a go. I like the color, looks like it will go with brown and black shoes if you are a coordinating type of fellow.

I use Fiebings, Angelus and Tandy, never had a problem with Tandy Antique Gels, or any of the others. I don't like Tandy tools, but their new line of Professional Water Stains and their Antique Gels are pretty good in my opinion.

Sorry, I didn't answer all your questions in the first reply. I used Clear Lac on this, I use Resolene (50/50) or Clear Lac most of the time. I also use Aussie quite a bit as a conditioner if I want a soft pliable feel to the item, I don't think I used it on this, I normally use it more on Instrument straps that need to drape well and feel soft over the shoulder.

Thanks,

Chief

Edited by Chief31794