bob21804

3-Year Noobie Needs Advice

First a quick introduction - I started getting into leatherwork as a hobby a few years ago, with a Tandy Deluxe set. I had fair results with a few small projects for myself and friends. I did buy some more tools and supplies beyond the original setup and worked with them a bit, developing my skills a some extent, but nothing like what many of you guys accomplish. After a bit, and a handful of ugly/inconsistent results on other projects, I set the leather aside as I concentrated instead on other of my many hobbies. (I think my biggest challenge is good decorative cutting and stamping skills - which leads to my question)

I picked up my leathercraft tools and supplies again recently, made a few more small items which turned out ok. I am feeling more comfortable working with leather, but still need a lot of improvement on the many skills involved. Now I'm in the process of starting my biggest project yet - a purse, from a Tandy pattern, for my oldest granddaughter, who will be turning 16 in a few weeks. I've cut most of the leather and punched holes for lacing - looking good so far. Soon I'll want to start decorating the flap and gussets with a design (and I'm nervous about that because I know I lack the skill to do a very good job). Also, the Sheridan style honestly isn't something I love, and my daughter also feels it's not my granddaughter's style either. We're leaning towards something simpler, with finer lines, not elaborate at all. After some searching around online, we found a simple scrolling design with little leaves. (I'll attach that below). I used my swivel knife to cut that design into a piece of scrap veg tanned tooling leather just for practice, and it looks "ok" to me, but I know when/if I try to do something such as bevel and shade it, it'll start to look more and more like the work of a 5th grader (no offense to any 5th grade talented leatherworkers on the board ;-) I'm thinking of just using the spoon end of my stylus tool to open up and smooth the fine lines and allow the design to show up darker when I apply the stain. I don't know if this is a good plan, or if you might have other suggestions for me. Maybe it's a terrible idea to even use such a design - I don't know. I do know I won't be developing enough skill within a few weeks to tool in a beautiful Sheridan or other fancy style design for my granddaughter's purse. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I do want/plan to continue in this hobby this time around and develop my skills, possibly even turning it into a hobby that will at least help support itself. I've made stuff (gifts) for friends and family, such as a knife sheaths, a couple wallets, bracelets and belts, and have recently had a few people offer to pay me if I would make something for them. I don't think my skill level is such that I would or should charge much more than the cost of the supplies at this point but maybe that's a topic for another post. For now, I'll be happy to give my granddaughter a purse that I'll feel good about giving her, and she'll really love.

Thanks!

post-69056-0-41670200-1453388611_thumb.j

Not all tooling is western, and was done without craftool stamps for centuries.

This guy only uses a swivel knife and 2 modelers. This is a great video, though the lighting makes it hard to see.

Thank you Tinker Tailor. I appreciate the response. I actually watched that video about a week ago, and I will watch it again. Great stuff. I'm really in awe of much of the work many of you experienced people do.

Edited by bob21804

I can't carve worth a darn, just saying. Swivel knives hurt my right hand, I have had reconstructive surgery on it and it does not like the position a swivel knife required. .10 mins and i am in pain. So, my stuff is plain or geometric/basket stamped. One day i will learn with my left

Edited by TinkerTailor