Sign in to follow this  
JohnD

Carving Faces

I wasn't sure if this belongs in the figure carving thread or not, but I thought more folks might see it here.

I make quite a few motorcycle seats a year, though most don't involve carving. I have been asked to do a seat with a pinup girl carved on it. I have been practicing for a few days now and I don't quite feel good about the face. I've been searching for any info that may have been already posted but haven't come up with anything specific. I have studied over the stuff I have found from Beeza, Hammerhead and ShirleyZ and was wondering (hoping) that someone might have some pointers or tips or something to help with getting the details of the face without it looking so "worked". I would appreciate any input. Thanks

John

Hi John,

There are a lot of components to doing what you are talking about. However the is one very superb book you can get at Tandy Leather.

"Figure Carving FInesse" by Al Stohlman. This book is going to take you along the path that you want to get on. It goes into the whole thing.  It covers eyes, hair, noses, ears and the body. There is also a companion book "Pictorial Carving Finesse" by Al Stohlman. But the first one is where you need to start.

Good luck,

Storm

Thank you Storm, I was looking for a reason to head to Tandy this weekend, I think that's the reason I need. I gave the customer a turnaround time of a month, so I have time to learn how to do it.

John

Thank you Storm, I was looking for a reason to head to Tandy this weekend, I think that's the reason I need. I gave the customer a turnaround time of a month, so I have time to learn how to do it.

John

Morning John,

Glad I could help. But if you are looking for a good reason to go out and buy a large bottle of Jack this weekend just think about the weather or better yet the economy!  :Lighten: HA!I know...do you ever need a reason to go out and buy a bottle of JD? But it is just like human antifreeze.  All kidding aside... you might also want to look at some modeling tools if you don't have any. Give a glance through the book and see what you may need to add to your arsenal. By the way do you go to the Chelmsford, MA shop or the one in Hartford? Drive careful and do'nt hit any snow banks or patches of black ice.

Storm

I go see Ken in Chelmsford. It's about a 2 hr ride but its the closest to me. I have the full Tandy set of modelling spoons, I picked them up on Paul Burnett's recommendation in his news letter. I've been using them to practice. I think I might take a stab at making some stainless ones in the near future. Thanks again.

John