jalbert

Wrapped Buckle For Guitar Strap

I'm getting to make myself a new guitar strap. I'd like to use one of these 1-1/2" clipped corner buckles but I'm worried about it scratching the guitar, so I was think of wrapping it in leather cord. Would one of these 1-1/2" cowhide strips I'm planning on using still fit through it? What kind of glue should I use? Anyone have a better idea for covering or wrapping the buckle? Maybe suede cord instead?

Here's some pictures of the last strap I made, about 15 years ago. I used solid copper rivets and covered them with rubber on the back. The buckle was extremely cheap and I was able to take it apart, slide a piece of shoe lace (with the core removed) over it and put it back together. I'd like the new strap to be pretty much like this except that I want to use a buckle with the bar in the center.

post-28273-078745000 1327070445_thumb.jp

Edited by jalbert

Whatever you use to cover it is definitely going to take up space. If you cover it the strap will need to be less than 2 1/2 in. Exactly how wide I don't know. You'll need to experiment with scraps to find the exact width once you have the buckle covered. As far as covering a center bar buckle goes, well, you can do it, sort of, but the buckle is the centerpiece of your guitar strap, why cover it up? I make guitar straps with buckles and this is what I do https://www.etsy.com/listing/156923792/adjustable-leather-guitar-strap-hermann?ref=v1_other_2