Sign in to follow this  
Half Goat

Glueing Leather To Perspex

Hey need some advice folks. I have been asked to make a large leather picture frame which will be mounted onto a perspex cover

Can anyone recommend a good adhesive that will bond leather and perspex successfully?

any advice would be great thanks

Hamish

I had to look up what Perspex actually was. I knew it was some form of plastic, but it's also known by several other brand names.

The biggest reason for looking it up though was to see what types of solvents it will react with. Here is what I found. It seems that CA glues will work, but then you need to consider absorption into the leather. Thinner glues will soak in faster than the thick, more gel-like variety. I guess it just depends on how big it'll be. Di- or trichloromethane could be used to melt the surface of the plastic to make it tacky, but that's probably going to be risky and unreliable.

It sound like a medium to medium-thick viscosity CA glue might be your best bet for a picture frame. I have hag good luck with the stuff from Gorilla Glue. Not the expanding stuff, but the Gorilla branded super glue. There's a ton of brands, so it's your call on what you use.

thanks have just ordered loads of gorilla super glue to use appreciate the help