UKRay

Is There Anything Better Than The Lansky Knife Sharpening System?

I've been using a LANSKY knife sharpening system for a while now and, in the main, have been very happy with the results. Hey, I even managed to cut my finger on a freshly sharpened knife this morning LOL.

I'm just wondering if there is anything better?

Ray

Yes.

OCD......(or CDO if you happen to insist on alphabetical order)

One of the members, some while ago, posted that they had cut a circle out of leather and mounted it to a sanding disk for their power sander. Then they loaded the leather with rouge to make a motorized strop. The results were reported as "outstanding". I don't know if that would help with the primary edge development, but it ought to help with the final stage of sharpening.....(last step before getting the bandages).

Ray, there's all kinds of things better than the Lansky system. It's good for small jobs and touchups where you don't need an outstandingly sharp edge, but it's not something I'd use for tools.

The same things I linked to in my reply to your scissor sharpening post will do knives, tools, and all sorts. There's a lot to be said for powered sharpening systems, and contrary to what Tormek's marketing will tell you you don't need to spend thousands to get something really really good.