Sign in to follow this  
unicornwoman

Super Sheene Tricks & Problems

Had someone ask me about Super Sheen going tacky this week. I didn't have what I felt was a really good answer as to why it went tacky or what to do for it. Anyone have any hints?

I personally like using Super Sheen. Occasionally, it does go on bubbly. I've found that it can be removed in those areas with a cotton swab dipped in Nail Polish Remover. Of course, that trick works best the sooner you go at it and I'm usually on top of the project due to the way I work and the fact that I'm doing miniature scale.

I buy it in the big bottle, but pour out to a smaller working bottle to keep it from drying out as I don't go through it super fast.

Any other good tricks?

Had someone ask me about Super Sheen going tacky this week. I didn't have what I felt was a really good answer as to why it went tacky or what to do for it. Anyone have any hints?

I personally like using Super Sheen. Occasionally, it does go on bubbly. I've found that it can be removed in those areas with a cotton swab dipped in Nail Polish Remover. Of course, that trick works best the sooner you go at it and I'm usually on top of the project due to the way I work and the fact that I'm doing miniature scale.

I buy it in the big bottle, but pour out to a smaller working bottle to keep it from drying out as I don't go through it super fast.

Any other good tricks?

[/quote

FWIW..........I use Super Sheen almost exclusively, BUT only thru an airbrush. I MIST it on.........a very fine mist.... and stay way away from the project. IMO 'tackiness' may be coming from humidity and/or too much applied too soon. In humid times (not too often here in the desert) I'll warm my project with a blow dryer or heat lamp....just good and warm....not hot.........then mist on a coat.........it should dry almost instantly. Hope this helps. Mike

I rub it on with a damp sponge. Works great. The spray can works pretty good as long as you don't overdo it or get too close. If it is applied too thick, it will crack and turn a gold color when dry. I prefer acrylic Resolene.