Sign in to follow this  
DJ1935

My First Saddle

I bought a half size saddle tree a couple of years ago with the intention of making it up. Somehow I never quite plucked up the courage to start on it, the instructions - or lack of - which came with it didnt help alot either. However when I bought a set of Stohlman's Encyclopedia of Saddle Making books things seemed much clearer. So for the Christmas Holidays I set forth and started on my "Busmans Holiday" making my saddle. I figured making a half sized saddle would be cheaper, if I made a hash of it at least the material cost was less! , and easier - NOT! During a censored , muttering episode whilst sewing the cantle binding my Husband, who'd been hiding at the rear of the workshop, was heard to say "it would have been easier to make a full size one" ! This point had already dawned on me somewhat earlier. However some 200 hours later here it is. The hours also included making up the patterns which I did from the Stohlman books, having given up on the originals. I really enjoyed the experience and now understand the saddle making process much more. I will have to make another sometime as Hubby has claimed this one. Will make up the cinches and a set of saddle bags when I get time.

DJ

post-5220-012771500 1295502508_thumb.jpgpost-5220-075825400 1295502542_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJ1935