katsass

Need Advice From A Boot-Maker

Good morning all: First of all, I'm not a boot-maker......and at my age I don't intend to become one.......I make holsters, made my first one when I was 17. I'm damn near 70 now. I have had an idea knocking around in my head for a while and now am going to give it a go. The only problem I have is that it will require a stack of laminated leather about 1 3/4 inch thick....like a boot heel. There will be no lateral stress applied to this stack (like in a dogger heel) but delamination would screw up the works. How do boot-makers make a stacked heel so that it will not separate? Glue/cement only? Tacks/nails? Stitching? All of the above? None of the below? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Mike,

I spent about two weeks with a boot maker in Oklahoma last year. She and I made a pair of boots while I was in her shop, so I wanted to let you know I have one pair of boots under my belt, and she helped me a great deal of course. So take this for what it is worth.

We stacked the heel each layer at a time. We used permanent glue then nailed wooden pegs into each layer. You have to pay attention to where you put the pegs so you don't put them on top of each other. Most high end boot makers, the the lady that taught me is one, refuse to use any nails with their boots. The only exception to that is for the nails that you put the heel pad on with. The rest is done with wooden pegs.

Hope that helps.

Kevin

Mike,

I spent about two weeks with a boot maker in Oklahoma last year. She and I made a pair of boots while I was in her shop, so I wanted to let you know I have one pair of boots under my belt, and she helped me a great deal of course. So take this for what it is worth.

We stacked the heel each layer at a time. We used permanent glue then nailed wooden pegs into each layer. You have to pay attention to where you put the pegs so you don't put them on top of each other. Most high end boot makers, the the lady that taught me is one, refuse to use any nails with their boots. The only exception to that is for the nails that you put the heel pad on with. The rest is done with wooden pegs.

Hope that helps.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin for the response. Thinking about it I can see that the use of nails etc. would not work well.......a little moisture over time would rust/corrode the metal. Wooden pins also ensure lateral stability of the stack. Began to think nobody wanted to answer an old fart's query. I began playing with different types of glue/cement, and think I found what I needed. The item is basically a spacer but needs to be shaped (my drum sander works well) and the edge burnished well. Thanks again. Mike