• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 silverback

silverback

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:Leatherwork,gold prospecting,4wdriving
  • Interested in learning about:bashing a dead cow skin to turn it into something useful
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:net

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

Hi,i have built this belt for a mate and am at the final stage but i am a bit worried about the finish as i dont want stain to bleed into the white roo lace.Any ideas welcome.The order of build was 1. case 2 edge 3 stamp 4 light application of neatsfoot 5 air brush dye with waproo raven oil brown 6 slick down the back with 50/50 waproo highshine sealer 7 burnish edge with water/saddle soap and beeswax mix 8 wax the belt and polish 9 cut slits and lace with white roo hide..
Should i just leave as is or what do you suggest to finish?Attached File  CIMG0027.JPG   64.64KB   123 downloadsAttached File  CIMG0029.JPG   92.4KB   123 downloads
Thank in advance

#2 ReneeCanady

ReneeCanady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Leather mugs
  • Interested in learning about:Everything

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:09 PM

Hmmm....I am no pro by ANY means, but Tandy carries a clear finish in a spray can. I also use their Aussie Conditioner once in a while that finishes clear. I have never used it over any white thread or lacing though. Someone more experianced will see this thread and help ya out. Nice work by the way!

#3 billymac814

billymac814

Leatherworker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  • Interests:Leather seats and holsters
  • Leatherwork Specialty:seats
  • Interested in learning about:Holsters/ seats and carving
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:google

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

I would airbrush the finish on, you should not get any bleeding doing it that way.

#4 silverback

silverback

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:Leatherwork,gold prospecting,4wdriving
  • Interested in learning about:bashing a dead cow skin to turn it into something useful
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:net

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

Ok thank you both of you.i may build a small test belt and and try a couple of different methods but i think the airbrush with the waproo highshine sealer may be the way to go.Peter

#5 footrat

footrat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Firefighting Gear

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:36 AM

Another option, and this may be too late, would be to finish the dyed piece before lacing. In that case, the finish would help seal the dye into the surface AND down in the lace holes where any dye might've penetrated further into the leather.