brass drinking cup
Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:57 AM
Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:10 AM
Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:52 PM
Not sure about the toxic part but that stuff you put on your windows to keep the rain off might work too, I think it is a carnauba type product.
Now remember though if the tarnish is still there like when you use tarnx or brasso it is still going to show in a short amount of time.
Brasso/tarnx, all it is is bleach, it takes the color out but doesn't actual take the oils off the brass, that's why it is quick, but tarnish comes back rather fast.
After you polish real well, wax it with a carnauba car wax. This will keep the moisture from the air & oils from your hands off it for aprox a year.
A good choice is Wenol & Friltz. That is what I used on silver drinking goblets
Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:23 PM
So, is there anything to clean a brass drinking cup that isn't toxic? I've used brasso, then washed it with soap and water, but that takes away some of the shine. Besides, brass makes everything taste funny. Is there any way around the taste, or the tarnishing inside after just a day of use? Inquiring Vikings want to know. Sometimes I just stand around looking cool, holding my very large brass chalice, but it's empty.
Boiling hot water with a tablespoon of Cream of Tartar will clean your brass, and it is non toxic. Laquer inside your cup might solve the taste problem. (If you are drinking Jack Daniels in your brass cup, it´s not the brass that causes the bad taste)
Edited by oldtimer, 06 January 2009 - 02:42 PM.
|Topic||Forum||Started By||Stats||Last Post Info|
||Historical Reenactment||Ulfberht Leather Works||
||Dyes, Antiques, Stains, Glues, Waxes, Finishes and Conditioners.||hacken94||
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users