Thought I would show some stuff Ive put together since gettin a good deal on a very lightly used Boss.

Really lovin this machine.

IWB for Glock 26/27

post-17161-047301300 1318652756_thumb.jp

post-17161-090176500 1318652821_thumb.jp

IWB for 4 1/4 1911

post-17161-012242000 1318652874_thumb.jp

post-17161-000357800 1318652907_thumb.jp

Pancake for a Glock 26/27

post-17161-054057600 1318653042_thumb.jp

Thanks for looking.

CJ

Very nice looking work....looks like you're getting along just fine with the Boss!

Nice looking work. The Tippman Boss is a decent little machine, especially for low-volume production or occasional use, but it can be finicky and frustrating at times. Some tips that might help are:

1. The Boss requires constant attention to timing and thread tensioning. Checking these and fine-tuning on scrap leather similar to what you will be using on each project before starting each project will save you some disappointments.

2. The cast aluminum operating handle attaches to the upper helical drive gear with a cap screw. That screw absorbs most of the stress at the top and bottom of each stroke, and can become fatigued over time and break, usually leaving the threaded portion of the screw embedded in the zinc drive gear. Tightness of that screw can be an issue, and I recommend checking it before each use to avoid a loose screw that adds additional stress in use. Avoid overtightening that screw. I also recommend changing out that screw about once every 30 days (about 125 to 150 uses in my shop, yours may vary) to avoid breakage due to metal fatigue. Keeping a supply of Schedule 8 cap screws, 1/4 X 20 X 1.5" on hand is cheap enough to do, and each one that saves you two hours of work to disassemble the top-end of the machine, remove the drive gear, and remove the broken screw, reassemble, re-time, etc, will be worth far more than it costs.

3. The helical drive gear is a cast zinc part. The screw hole to which the operating handle attaches is very close to one edge, and the part can break at that point due to repeated stress (especially when operated with the cap screw loose, and they do tend to loosen with use). Keeping a couple of spare drive gears on hand will allow you to make repairs right away rather than waiting for replacement parts from Tippman.

4. The drive rack (operated off the top helical drive gear to run the bottom shaft to the bobbin shuttle) is also made of cast zinc and can break due to repeated stress. Keeping at least one set (two pieces) on hand will allow immediate repairs rather than waiting for replacement parts. Changing these out takes only 15 to 30 minutes, but re-timing is then necessary as these parts control the finer timing control.

5. Keep the Tippman Industries phone number handy. A quick call will put you in touch with one of their tech people who will walk you through every maintenance and repair issue. Nice folks.

6. If you don't have the Tippman video you may want to order it from them, or watch it on their website. The advanced portion is very helpful in understanding machine operation, repair issues, timing, and thread tensioning issues, which you will be dealing with regularly.

I keep my Boss on hand primarily as a back-up for the Cobra Class 4 that I added to the shop in 2010. You will find it to be a pleasure to use much of the time (especially when compared to hand-stitching), but there will be regular issues with adjustment (timing, thread tensioning) and regular repairs will be necessary (and routine) events. The most significant weaknesses are in the cast zinc used in key operating parts and the otherwise totally unsupported attachment of the operating handle via steel cap screw to a cast zinc drive gear.

I hope this helps you.

Very nice looking work....looks like you're getting along just fine with the Boss!

Thanks. Without this sight I'm not sure i could have got it set up and sewing right. Post by yourself and others really cut down the learning curve.

Thanks agian

CJ

Nice looking work. The Tippman Boss is a decent little machine, especially for low-volume production or occasional use, but it can be finicky and frustrating at times. Some tips that might help are:

1. The Boss requires constant attention to timing and thread tensioning. Checking these and fine-tuning on scrap leather similar to what you will be using on each project before starting each project will save you some disappointments.

2. The cast aluminum operating handle attaches to the upper helical drive gear with a cap screw. That screw absorbs most of the stress at the top and bottom of each stroke, and can become fatigued over time and break, usually leaving the threaded portion of the screw embedded in the zinc drive gear. Tightness of that screw can be an issue, and I recommend checking it before each use to avoid a loose screw that adds additional stress in use. Avoid overtightening that screw. I also recommend changing out that screw about once every 30 days (about 125 to 150 uses in my shop, yours may vary) to avoid breakage due to metal fatigue. Keeping a supply of Schedule 8 cap screws, 1/4 X 20 X 1.5" on hand is cheap enough to do, and each one that saves you two hours of work to disassemble the top-end of the machine, remove the drive gear, and remove the broken screw, reassemble, re-time, etc, will be worth far more than it costs.

3. The helical drive gear is a cast zinc part. The screw hole to which the operating handle attaches is very close to one edge, and the part can break at that point due to repeated stress (especially when operated with the cap screw loose, and they do tend to loosen with use). Keeping a couple of spare drive gears on hand will allow you to make repairs right away rather than waiting for replacement parts from Tippman.

4. The drive rack (operated off the top helical drive gear to run the bottom shaft to the bobbin shuttle) is also made of cast zinc and can break due to repeated stress. Keeping at least one set (two pieces) on hand will allow immediate repairs rather than waiting for replacement parts. Changing these out takes only 15 to 30 minutes, but re-timing is then necessary as these parts control the finer timing control.

5. Keep the Tippman Industries phone number handy. A quick call will put you in touch with one of their tech people who will walk you through every maintenance and repair issue. Nice folks.

6. If you don't have the Tippman video you may want to order it from them, or watch it on their website. The advanced portion is very helpful in understanding machine operation, repair issues, timing, and thread tensioning issues, which you will be dealing with regularly.

I keep my Boss on hand primarily as a back-up for the Cobra Class 4 that I added to the shop in 2010. You will find it to be a pleasure to use much of the time (especially when compared to hand-stitching), but there will be regular issues with adjustment (timing, thread tensioning) and regular repairs will be necessary (and routine) events. The most significant weaknesses are in the cast zinc used in key operating parts and the otherwise totally unsupported attachment of the operating handle via steel cap screw to a cast zinc drive gear.

I hope this helps you.

Thanks so much for the thoughtful post. Really appreciate it.

Will definately keep these points in mind. It had a lot of dust in it when I got it. Dissasembled it, cleaned and lubed. Seems to have almost no wear but I can see where the Zinc parts could fail.

I live in Indiana so Tippmann is not to far away should parts be needed. I will get some screws to have on hand too.

The post on this sight by folks such as yourself really helped in set up.

Thanks agian

CJ

Gives me hope for mine, good looking work.

Picked one up but it is going in for a total rebuild, tired of it snapping needles because of how sloppy the wear on the parts has it functioning.

Gives me hope for mine, good looking work.

Picked one up but it is going in for a total rebuild, tired of it snapping needles because of how sloppy the wear on the parts has it functioning.

I'm sure your gonna love it. Just follow the advice given on this site about the Boss's use.

The biggest thing I have noticed is to always run a test piece though before you start. Always!

Got half way down one side of a belt before I noticed the bottom stitch wasn't pulling through.

Had just finished a holster before I started the belt and it looked great. Had to pull the belt stitching out make a slight adjustment and start over.

Enjoy your Boss

CJ