Hi everyone, I thought I would share with you my first experiment with manufacturing a custom stamp using a 3D printer.

It is the first stamp so do not judge too harshly.

I have created a model using Sketchup and it took about 15 minutes to print.

I stamped it more then 10 times with no signs of wear.

Isn't it awesome?

post-22714-0-04516500-1361506660_thumb.j

post-22714-0-17428200-1361506676_thumb.j

I think that's a fantastic discover! I don't think the printed stamps will have the life expectancy of delrin/acetal (and certainly not steel), but for new designs, or limited use things, it'll be difficult to beat. The dpi seems a little coarse, but like you said....first stamp. I'm sure that you can play with the settings and get it sorted out.

Never mind the stamp....can I have the printer?

That is cool, as you will be able to make pretty much any stamp you desire, the possibilities are pretty much endless. What would a stamp like that cost to make?

Cool, I experimented with a stainless steel 3D print from Shapeways thread is here if you want to take a look http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=10252&st=90

I've used it for a few small things and are quite happy with it, which 3D printer are you using I was thinking of getting the UP Plus in the near future as there is local supplier and they seem to get good reviews and don't take up much room.

Beaverslayer from the looks of the size and going by what I've had printed in the past probably under ten dollars.

totally cool. I've been thinking of getting one of these. Which printer did you get? The shapeways blog didn't show the printer or cost.

Yes it is awesome. How much are the printers and what medium is that? Is that the stuff that starts off as powder or something?

This is a 3d printer by Solidoodle http://www.solidoodle.com/

It uses ABS fliament which comes on a 1kg (2lb) spool. (That is a lot of printing!)

I have a basic model but i am considering to add a hot table that prevents warping of large items.

The machine is built very well: nice strong frame, strong sliding rods, and nothing is loose. It worked out of the box.

I followed all instructions from their website and had no problems with anything.

We are running the thing every other night for about an hour for a month already and it still works like it was.

I have seen it among other printers from different manufacturers last fall at the Maker Faire in New York.

It was by far the best value for me. I am very happy with it so far.

I only had to make that PVC frame to hold the spool but it was not a big deal.

PS. I am not affilited with Solidoodle in any way.

post-22714-0-30670200-1361580913_thumb.j

Edited by leatherkind

Thanks for all of this, had no idea it existed.

If you can turn out custom stamps for projects it doesn't matter how long they last....just make another.

I am sure I paid more for an early laser printer in the office

I've been pondering a laser to make images....use them at work but the pricing for any industry is ridiculous.

Edited by WScott

Awsome. I've wondered if this would work for awhile. Of course for stamps you would use all the time, you would still want to get made from a stronger material to avoid the regular cost of remaking. However, for more limited run stuff this is great. The price on 3D printers have really come down too. The last time I had looked, they were still hovering in the $1,000 - $1,500 range. $500 is doable. Still some money, but reasonable if you think you'll get some use out of it. Now if they could just get the laser cutters down to a couple thousand, small scale projects truely would only be limited by your imagination.

I'm really considering getting one of those now that I see they are less than $1000.00. I bought an Alps MD5500 printer last year, and it cost $2300.00 and it won't make stamps, just prints on pretty much anything that will fit in it.

I can see endless possibilities with one of these. You could make fancy stamps for outlining "inlays" and such. Real fancy Celtic designs, intricate borders for wallets and such. As time goes on, my ability to use tools for tooling has been dwindling as I have a hard time holding them, being able to make intricate designs and just pressing them into the leather would be so much easier.

Thank you everyone for comments and links.

Here is a little update which is a bit off topic.

I have an order to make a belt pouch for an iphone.

As I started setting up threat tension i realised that i can no longer stand the way the light was attached to the machine.

I had it zip tied and as i would stitch it would gradually get closer and closer to the needle and it was terrible.

I thought i should resolve this problem once and for all.

There was an unused flat landing with two 6mm threaded holes in the back of Cowboy 4500 and i decided to utilise it for a light bracket.

Made a model of a simple light bracket and 80 minutes later tah-dah!! Looks and works great.

You may ask why did not I order a real light from Bob or have I finished the pouch... but i know you would not ask because you would not want to spoil the fun :)

post-22714-0-49997500-1361727029_thumb.j

post-22714-0-60124500-1361727042_thumb.g

post-22714-0-36173500-1361727054_thumb.j

post-22714-0-65339800-1361727071_thumb.j

post-22714-0-64169900-1361727083_thumb.j

That's really cool. I'm pretty sure if you post about 3 more things that you made with that I'm going to have to get one. I'm just worried I won't be able to do the computer part fast enough to make it worth doing.

You could basically print up an iPhone too to use it as a form right? It would be nice if you could just drag a picture of an iPhone into a box and it prints it out. Maybe in a few more years.

I have struggled with the light I have for my Cowboy 4500 as well. I finally just took it off as it would never stay anyway. I use one that I had bought for my Boss that is very small and mounts right up by the needle bar and shines right down to where it needs to be. It works out good. I also have a fluorescent light hanging down from the ceiling right above it.

leatherkind, you want to be getting idea out into the web world and sell them little brackets to people like us that struggle with the lighting. you never know. the person who invented tie wraps must of done ok out of it. and not everyone has heard of 3d printing....

al

Molding forms, that's another great use for a 3D printer. I know a lot of people will work up a wood form on a table saw or bandsaw, but for those of us in the city and can't do much woodworking this could be a nice alternative.

You are right Glendon making forms would be one of the good uses.

it may take couple of hours to print but that is far less then waiting for it to be mailed.

For now I have another 3d printing development: just made a custom stirrup plate and i like it!

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=46080&st=15#entry292694