Sign in to follow this  
DavidL

Any Machine That Can Produce A Diamond Hole Like An Awl

Any machines out there that can replicate a diamond hole that is seen with a stitching awl. Im comfortable hand stitching leather goods by hand, but for larger objects a sewing machine that can punch out hole like an awl will be useful and time saving. It is only going to be used for punching out the holes and i don't intend to sew on it. The ones I had in mind are the heavy duty manual singer machines that are used for leather. Tippman also comes to mind but comes in at 1 grand and id prefer to pay 100-200.

1. Any machines out there that can replicate a diamond hole that is seen with a stitching awl. Im comfortable hand stitching leather goods by hand, but for larger objects a sewing machine that can punch out hole like an awl will be useful and time saving.

2. It is only going to be used for punching out the holes and i don't intend to sew on it.

3. The ones I had in mind are the heavy duty manual singer machines that are used for leather. Tippman also comes to mind but comes in at 1 grand and id prefer to pay 100-200.

U might find some old machine that u could put a diamond shaped needle into just to stab the holes.
Define Heavy Duty...
To get that low a price you'll also need to find some seller who admits that their machine is just good for parts.

Th

U might find some old machine that u could put a diamond shaped needle into just to stab the holes.
Define Heavy Duty...
To get that low a price you'll also need to find some seller who admits that their machine is just good for parts.

Something like an old singer that doesn't use electricity. By heavy duty it can punch out up to 1cm of leather. Just by looking at the old machines I can't tell if it will work.

Th

Something like an old singer that doesn't use electricity. By heavy duty it can punch out up to 1cm of leather. Just by looking at the old machines I can't tell if it will work.

U can handwheel almost anything or are u saying treadle?

For those on other side of divide, 1cm = .39" or slightly more than 3/8".

U will probably still want a compound feed, that narrows it some.

Guess it would depend on the leather and size of the needle.

U remember the advice to take a piece of the leather u intend to sew with u when going to examine machine, this is reason.

Take a look at a old needle and awl machine and see if it looks like what you want.

i know very little about sewing machines what is compound feed?

Il try to do that dirt clod, I wouldn't know how to pick a proper machine and would be just guessing. Are there any machines in particular that are widely available vintage machines. I've seen some singers for leather go for around 150-200 unsure if they will do leathers that are 7.5mm.

What I'm looking for-

The needle doesn't need to be shaped like an awl but does need to work on 7.5mm leathers or thicker

working condition

hand operated

between 100-200 dollars vintage is better

Are there any machines off the top of your head that fit the bill?

A needle and awl machine uses a awl to punch the hole that the needle will come up through. You might get lucky and find a American straight needle for what your wanting to pay, only thing is the throat is only about 4 inches deep but if your going to sew around the edge it would work fine for that. They will sew around 3/4 to 1 inch thick.

Il check out the american straight needle they are in the tippman boss price range which was what I was going to buy. A cheaper alternative would be better because it wouldn't be

price conscious to buy a tippman if I won't be sewing on it. Hopefully someone will have an american straight needle used and in my price range.

Edited by DavidL

i know very little about sewing machines what is compound feed? Il try to do that dirt clod, I wouldn't know how to pick a proper machine and would be just guessing. Are there any machines in particular that are widely available vintage machines. I've seen some singers for leather go for around 150-200 unsure if they will do leathers that are 7.5mm. What I'm looking for- The needle doesn't need to be shaped like an awl but does need to work on 7.5mm leathers or thicker working condition hand operated between 100-200 dollars vintage is better Are there any machines off the top of your head that fit the bill?

generally they feed using combination of bottom feed, and 2 presser feet(needle moves w/ inner foot). Reason is to have continuous top feed pressure and prevent slippage.

singer are most widly avail.

When I said: U can handwheel almost anything, I ment can put a handwheel on almost anything.

look another w/ same idea!! u guys should merge

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=53696&hl=tandy#entry343672

Edited by stanly