Sign in to follow this  
Turtlepaint

Headstall round sutured with silver ferrules

Like to (let) make a „Visalia“  headstall. Round leather with sterling silver ferrules and 5/8 buckles. How do I put the round ferrules on the cheek parts ( 5/8 flat for buckles and the round sewed ). Would appreciate help and resources  for the silver ferrules. What diameter is needed when flat end comes to 5/8? Thank you, Beatrice

D099A56E-CEC1-45E5-8136-947D42E5F2DF.jpeg

I haven't worked with ferrules but here's a link showing crimped ferrules on round cheek pieces for 5/8 inch hardware  https://www.ranch2arena.com/products/041320-round-leather-with-ferrules-installed.  For width of the round, Steinke ("Bridlework A Step-by-step Guide") starts with a 3/4 inch strap to make a round to fit 1/2 buckles.  The strap is thinned where the round will be formed.  He sews the cover around a piece of flexible, rubber coated multistrand wire.  I use 1-1/4 inch straps to make rounded halter throat latches for 1 inch or 3/4 inch snaps.  I split the cover to 7 oz thickness and wrap it around a 9 oz leather filler.  The rounds end up being 1/2 - 5/8 inch diameter after shaping in a rein rounder.  After rounding I trim the width of the ends to fit the hardware.  I based my rounds on the descriptions of rounded leather handles in volume 2 of Al Stohlman's Case Making books.

Edited by TomE